How to split a wall horizontally?

I have a client that has carpet on the wall up to the chair rail and painted drywall above the chair rail. I tried 2 walls stacked but I can't a window to insert then into the 2 walls (the window is to the floor). I just need to render it so he can see the effect so is there a way to split the render, or insert a window in to adjoining walls?

Thank you

- Use the nurbs Extract tool to get a new surface from the face of the wall.

- Split this new surface at the height you want and discard the top half.

- Use the nurbs Shell Solid tool to give the surface a thickness (or just move the planar surface away from the wall by 1/2" (15 mm)).

Dealing with reveals is a little more tricky. Easiest way is to use extrudes.

Another way to deal with a split wall situation is to use the 3D Reshape tool and "Notch" the walls using the Add Wall Peak option. In the lower wall, add 4 peaks to the top of the wall and use them to lower the area around the window.

For the upper wall add four peaks to the bottom of the wall and use them to raise the area around the window.

This can also be a useful trick around doors is you must eliminate the "wall lines" across the bottom of the door.

Pat

Simon,

Compound wall surfaces are going to eventually show up in VW. So until then I think the best way to add surfaces like what you are attempting is to treat them as interior millwork. I use all of the benifits of the 3D solid environment to build an accurate model with all trim detail projected and positioned as it would be in real time.

It sounds to me like the simplest way to accomplish your task is to create a profile in 2D along with a path...then extrude the profile along the path. One profile could include the base, shoe and chair rail with a second profile for the carpet surface. Once the extrusions are complete you can insert 3D solids in the position of the doors and windows (the same size as the unit dimension but deep enough to penetrate the extrusions...then subtract the solids from the extrusions. It really is very simple, quick and painless once you get the hang of it.

Below is a detailed model of a structure with several materials and varied elevations and positions on the exterior walls. I used the same procedure as above to achieve the results. Using my standard wall definitions with sheetrock-stud-sheathing the window and doors were inserted with trim that was deep enough to show proud of the exterior finish materials.

Tramore3bSmall.jpg

Hope this provides another way of which there are many.

Pete

• 10 months later...

Simon,

look to this thread...the tools are there. I used rotate 3D tool (Ctrl+0) to position the model in such a way that I can extrude to depth in the correct direction...plus by isolating specific objects to a special class I use to edit them in active class only I can cut or slice through the extrusions to cut compound angles such as what was done on this roof. Sometimes is takes 4 to 5 rotates to get the view you want!

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=105174#Post105174

This is the reason I love this program...the tools are there.

Pete A