Multiple Viewport Class Overrides

Chris D

Question

The ability to edit classes in a particular viewport, i.e. change the way a class looks depending on the viewport, is a great feature of VW12.

However, when in the Viewports tab of the Organize palette you can select multiple viewports but CAN'T edit the class properties (you can edit which appear, but not their line and fill). This is immensely frustrating if you have 20 viewports that need the same class override settings!!

Please implement Multiple Viewport Class Overrides

Thanks

Chris D

Edited by Chris D

17 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes. There are a few ways I think this is being approached that have come up recently.

Simplest one is: Allow editing of class attributes and overrides with multiple viewports selected (As of 2008 you can control class visibility but not edit the attribute overrides)

Next is: Viewport "Styles" that also house class override settings.

And then I think two others that I can not remember the specifics of that are also being discussed internally that deal with visualization control for viewports.

Another big bump up for this.  Also, when creating a new class from an existing class, it would be extremely helpful if the new class would retain overrides, if any, matching the original class in each viewport.  The way it is now, having to add a class to a project that's well along with many viewports and viewport overrides can be quite a daunting task.  VWIS102

Yes, upvoted it. Even if it would be only possible through the organisation dialog to override classes in multiple viewports it would be an improvement.

The alternative is to have multiple copies of objects in multiple classes so that you could "override" by changing the class properties and change class visibilities to show the "override class" but that would be a really bothersome workaround.