UK Reveal details

donkeytoss

Hello all,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm a Vectorworks newbie.

Is is possible/easy to have Vectoworks show the cavity wall around a window/door insert to be broken with the internal leaf returning into the external leaf as is the normal UK detail rather than the default insert detail whereby each leaf is just broken against the door/window without a return?

I hope that makes sense because I know what I am asking for but I am finding it difficult to describe. Should make sense to a UK designer.

Any UK users able to help me?

Cheers

DT

Yes it is possible.

You need to use the plugin window rather than a plain symbol (as far as I know).

- So, insert a plugin door/window into a wall (i.e. a wall which has 3 components), with the middle component representing the cavity.

- Select the window and click on 'Settings' in the Object Info palette.

- Go to the Wall Detail tab and add "1" to Number of Components for both Interior and Exterior (or maybe just the Exterior?).

Having done this now select the window (in the wall) and drag the additional selection handles on each side of your window?doing so parallel to the jamb?to create the cavity closer return.

By the way, you can also do insulated cavity closers by including them as part of your [plain] symbol and then adding 2 loci (1 to each jamb, inside the line of the cavity closers). These loci tell the wall where to draw to, instead of simply drawing to the outer extremities of the symbol by default.

Surprised you're using brick returns actually. How come you're not using insulated cavity closers? (just curious)

Hi Christiaan, thanks for the advice.

Cavity returns are just a bit of a local standard detail where I work from and trying to get the majority of local builders adopt anything different to what they are used to can be a bit problematic.

The builders are happy with the returned cavity detail, Building Control are happy with the returned cavity detail so who am I to upset the apple cart!!!!

Cheers