Vectorworks 2008 - available 13 Sept. 2007

I've never got the logic behind calling software after a year.

But glad to see this version is going to clear up a lot of long-standing issues: select and edit multiple windows and doors in walls (yes!), OSX Spotlight search integration, unlimited colour choices, rotatable 2d views (hope this includes the ability to produce site plans without layer links), classable wall components, object based opacity, cropped layer links and design layers, design layer viewports, CAD manager features and improved library management (how tantalising!)?"save changes in your resources directly back to office-standard libraries with one click" (fantastic!), wall components in sections, improved navigation between viewports and design layers, improved 2D stair graphic (I'm sure it's not the end of this one)

Interested to see how the 2D rotate deals with legacy files. Two-way worksheets sound great too, if that means what I think it means. Looking forward to seeing these updated icons too (bout time!).

And stuff still missing: advanced wall joining, advanced team workflow (aka AchiCAD TeamWork), single tabbed window interface, multi-storey stair PIO, date stamp for cloud tool. And, geez, the None class is still there! ;)

So NNA's been busy. No pricing yet for UK customers? The quote button, is that just for U.S. customers?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two-way worksheets is what you think it is. It allows changes to the entries in databases to be changed, and these changes are also reflected on the objects in the drawing.

Say you have a door schedule, for example. You realize the door configuration is listed as a simple swing, and it is supposed to be a bi-part swing instead. You can simply right click on the cell value and change it from a swing to a bi-part swing. The door in the drawing reflects this change, too.

You can quickly change the width, height, and all the other options in the door schedule quickly using this bi-directional editing method.

I've added a screen shot that hopefully helps visualize the feature.

Edited by Katie

I think you'll see quite a few team workflow improvements, especially in the world of workgroup referencing. In addition, all default content, libraries, project files, and much more can be centrally stored and managed using the CAD Manager features. All you have to do is set the VW preferences to point to the location where these items are stored, and you have centralized management in a breeze.

One more post --- Christiaan, contact Computers Unlimited for a price quote.

The form will just forward your request to them anyways.

You'll find out lots more info at Plasa, if you can attend.

Two-way worksheets is what you think it is. It allows changes to the entries in databases to be changed, and these changes are also reflected on the objects in the drawing.

Oh, good! That's exactly what I expected.

Now, a word of warning: in my GIS-software experience this can cause horrendous, dramatic user errors. Whoever implements this long overdue facility has to make sure that the user really knows which object he or she is dealing with.

Say you have a door schedule, for example. You realize the door configuration is listed as a simple swing, and it is supposed to be a bi-part swing instead. You can simply right click on the cell value and change it from a swing to a bi-part swing.

Fine. But is the worksheet really the proper context for such decisions? (It can be, but not necessarily!)

Allow me to tell an anecdote from my distant past as a CAD-manager.

As I was doing one of my regular rounds, I noticed that a CAD-operator had placed a fire exit door in such a location that it could not be opened more than 45?: there was a column there!

"Jack, what's that?"

"Oh, that. The project architect told me to move the door there."

"Did she really? Well, did you tell her that the door can't be fully opened in this location?"

"No."

"You didn't, mate! Why not? Geez!"

"Dunno, mate. Not my business. Now piss off, will'ya - got work to do, eh!"

So, just make sure that it is the business of the worksheet to make design decisions.

Edited by Petri

OMG, can't wait to try it.

All you have to do is set the VW preferences to point to the location where these items are stored, and you have centralized management in a breeze.

Sounds like a good start Katie but I think it's a shame NNA have gone for simple 'point to library' method. The problem then is that you become dependent on a network and a server. What happens if people use laptops in and out of the office for instance? Or what if the server or network go down? You're also increasing network activity unnecessarily.

For these reasons I think we need a system that allows a manager to *synchronise* user resources with a central/master library. See my thread here on the topic:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=64934

Christiaan,

The location doesn't have to be a network drive. It can be a location on the local computer, which can be set to synch with a network volume using OS functions.

The beauty of it is that you don't *have* to use this for library management. It's an option for larger offices trying to centralize and manage resources.

One of the big advancements in VectorWorks is workgroup referencing and the CAD Manager features compliment the management demands in a multi-user environment.

Edited by Katie

Petri-

I think the worksheet issue you bring up is certainly an important one. I'm not sure how to best handle this situation, since the feature is always on. Perhaps the best management of this goes to setting careful and specific office standards of what to and not to do, especially in an area such as this.

You still have the option to "force select" an object in the worksheet which goes out and selects the database item, and centers it on the screen.

Before a change is made, it may be good practice to run the force select since the change is not only visible in the worksheet, but also in context of the project.

This is a good discussion to have.

I personally think the benefits of this feature far outweigh the drawbacks. And it has been a high-level request for years.

Edited by Katie
Petri-

Several months ago you discussed the need for supporting geo-referenced images.

I did, didn't I! And not in a polite tone. Nevertheless, it was fulfilled!

This feature is enormously important for

- town planners

- urban designers

- landscape architects

- ecologists

- archaelogists (yes, we do have'm)

etc.

Christiaan,

You can still use the force selection option to select and center the database item. (Right click on the database row and choose Select) This allows the change to not only be visual in the database, but also on the screen.

I personally think the benefits of this feature far outweigh the drawbacks. And it has been a high-level request for years.

I fully agree. As the CAD-Nazi, I might have disabled a feature or two, but, as you say, the benefits indeed outweigh the potential problems. My colleagues out there just have to deal with this...

On paper, as text, in my world, this is certainly one of the most compelling features of VeeDub two doublenought eight. We might just have entered Petriverse in our Tin Can!

The location doesn't have to be a network drive. It can be a location on the local computer, which can be set to synch with a network volume using OS functions.

Katie, I already use such a system to synchronise libraries and templates with a master using Apple Remote Desktop. But all this allows for is overwriting resources from the master. There's no ability to feed back into the master, and especially not in a managed intelligent way.

I think to describe this new feature as a management feature is a bit of a misnomer because it sounds like we've simply gained the ability to locate our resources wherever we like.

Also, you can save changes in your resources directly back to office-standard libraries with one click

Again, this isn't a management feature; it sounds like there's no management involved at all. How do I, as a CAD manager, have veto about what goes into the library without setting out a new set of arbitrary rules about how people can and cannot use VectorWorks?

One of the problems I find with managing our resources at the moment is that my normal VectorWorks workflow is so badly interrupted. I guess what I was hoping for was some kind of system for submitting resources to the master library that allowed a CAD manager to quickly and easily check them first, then either reject, add, or edit and add. All without having to leave VectorWorks.

The beauty of it is that you don't *have* to use this for library management.

Well nor would you *have* to use what I was hoping for either.

I've never got the logic behind calling software after a year

Stupid name...

Vectorworks 13-the "Are you feeling Lucky" Version? :) Nah, 2008 seems just fine.

oops, I now see someone else pointed out the logic of avoiding the dreaded "13" in another thread......not superstitious myself, but it makes good marketing sense to do so.

Thank you, Vectorworks, for fixing one of the associative dimensioning problems in 12.5.2. (i.e. losing association with reversals, etc.) I'm hoping that with VW 2008 that we might have a built-in vertex in the center of doors and windows, allowing for auto-dimension changes if the door/window is moved. Also, my pipe-dream, long-shot: Auto exterior wall dimensions (AEC> ?dimension exterior)-all associative, with the nifty chain movability you've implemented.

Edited by Amy L