Vectorworks 2008 - available 13 Sept. 2007

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just an elaborate joke, isn't it? C'mon - NNA would not have a separate site called "VectoWorks 2008 Features". (Now, pay attention to spelling, doubleohsev'n, willya.)

Whoever you are: goodonyamate - I wish, too! 10 kilograms of Brownie medals to you!

Edited by Petri

Its not a scam. Robert Anderson and Jeff Ouellette will be at Build Boston in November showcasing VectorWorks Architect 2008: http://www.buildboston.com/wrk_electrotech.asp

C13 New technologies in VectorWorks Architect 2008

10:30 am ? noon

Sponsored by the BSA?s VectorWorks Users Group

The regular meeting of the BSA?s VectorWorks Users Group convenes at Build Boston this month. Join us for a presentation on the look and application of new technologies as they have been incorporated into the latest version of VectorWorks. Everyone is welcome to this workshop, from newbies to veteran MiniCad hands, although a basic familiarity with VectorWorks may enhance your enjoyment and learning. Attendance is free, but registration is required.

Thomas Parks AIA (moderator), Boston Architectural College, Boston

Robert Anderson AIA, Nemetschek North America, Columbia MD

Jeff Ouellette, Nemetschek North America, Columbia MD

Am I the only one who received in the mail this expensive large calendar announcing VW 2008? Each month has a full page glossy color photo of a project done in VW from around the world.

Why hasn't Katie annouced this on the web site?

Did a few pieces of mail go out early by mistake?

But, the website is there.

Perhaps, this a PR method of getting blog buzz.

Henry and others -

It's not a joke. VectorWorks 2008 will be released on September 13.

Calendars and postcards were mailed out just a few days ago, and Henry is probably one of the first to receive the collateral since he is relatively close to Columbia, MD. Others should expect their deliveries over the next week or so.

I haven't said anything until now because I've been busy working on the release! :)

Petri,

You second-guessed your mother again... And she had a lovely surprise for you but you didn't accept it. I think it's probably a case of Finland getting the mail last, not that it's a backwater or anything.

NNA - congratulations on a classic reveal. What a class act! We can't wait for it!

Please give us some more info... anything. Throw us a bone!

Any mention of 3D dimensioning......NO! Any surprise....NO!...but we will showcase the new SubZero libaries. After what I have seen with VW12.5.1 and .2 releases and subsequent problems, along with the lack of correcting those problems from one release to another, I may opt for this 2008 release in 2010, if I survive that long.

Remember one thing, correcting existing software does not generate any sales dollars, even though it would make your existing customer base happy and more productive. A new release will tempt many to pony up the extra ching for the latest release.

Kind of like a cat chasing its tail......!

Good Luck to those who may think you are upgrading. This should generate a whole new forum board of sorts.

Enough already,

Thanks guys,

Tom in PA

Tom,

Are you from another planet? I've used MC and VW for years with great production. It's a moneymaker for me. Bugs are minimal for most of the last few releases. The upgrades are compelling. Increased productivity with each release has been obvious and measureable for me.

Perhaps it's just one of those glass half empty issues for you. Comeon, upgrade from Powercadd.

Henry

Henry - I thought it was June ...

Tom,

While not every single wish can be implemented in each release, we do work hard at getting everything we possibly can in a release. You'll find a number of the 2008 highlights are improvements on existing technology, which I think you will enjoy once you get your hands on it.

Keep in mind the "Learn More" is just a brief description of some of the features in 2008. Check back in later in the month to see a comprehensive description, image, and movie of the features.

Henry,

I have been a devout user since MiniCad 1 first came out. I have seen all the issues that have evolved over the years that were touted as being 'improvements'. Does anyone remember VW9 and 10?? What a fiasco that was...! I'll eventually give it a chance someday. If only a few of my gripes were addressed, I'd probably be happy.

Give me time.... I am still getting over some of the issues that were better in 11.5.1.

Thanks,

Tom in PA

VW12.5.2, WinXP Pro SP2

Stupid name...

But the new features look good! Many of my long-standing and/or key wishes seem to have been incorporated, eg. Classable wall components, Two-way worksheets, Support for Worksheets in DXF/DWG Export, Cropped layer links and Object-based opacity.

Obviously there is still some life left in the old VW and let's hope this release won't be a Bug.

EDIT

But wait, there's even more: wall components in sections! Excellent!

Edited by Petri

Dontevenjoke- AutoCAD 2007 & 2008 will be supported, worksheets are supported in the export process, and you have the ability to append a prefix to AutoCAD layers when importing a dxf/dwg file.

The rotate plan views is something you'll have to see to understand it. Check back in 2 weeks to watch the movie on that feature.

Here's an image of Rotate Plan View:

Edited by Katie

Heads up display is similar to the same feature in AutoCAD.

In essence, the Data Display bar is now available right where the action is - as you draw, a short (or long depending on settings) box follows the cursor giving you measurement and/or coordinate information. There are a number of shortcuts to quickly enable this as you design and draw and automatically turn off when you don't need it.

Again, I think this is something that will make better sense once you see it.

Here's an image to help:

Edited by Katie