Workspace editor

I want to customise my current workspace but can't do so.

I am in 'Classic' mode and when I try to go

-File

-Workspace editor

-Edit the current workspace

It comes up with the warning that 'Vectorworks is unable to edit that workspace'

'Confirm that the workspace file and the workspaces directory allow read and write access.'

I cant find the workspace file or directory that allow me to select my read and write access privileges.

Would anyone be able to help.

Many Thanks,

Rob

I have tried to 'Edit a copy of the current workspace'

So I adjusted the 2D pallette and hit OK - and a message comes up - 'The following Plug-ins are not in the plug -ins folder: Renderworks Camera.

then another

'Do you want to save the workspace anyway'

so I hit yes but the workspace pallettes I am working with do not change. But where is the copy kept so I can use it?

And is Renderworks Camera something significant I need to have?

Many thanks

Rob

Thanks Jan,

I've just done it on a colleagues machine and it works as you say it should. But my set-up is not responding the same. My new customised set-up doesn't come up on the drop down workspace menu. So i wonder if the problem is with my read and write access privileges. Can you direct me how to check these.

Many thanks again,

Rob

Have gone to

-Applications

-vectorworks

-workspace editor

Then comes up the workspaces 'classic' and 'standard'

I can edit the ownerships and permissions for 'classic' and 'standard' from here by hitting apple 'I'.

But whatever permutation I put in, I still cannot edit the current workspace or make a copy. And no new workspaces come up on the drop down workspace menu.

This is frustrating.

Any suggestions?

Best

Rob

Workspaces are loaded into VectorWorks when the application launches, so if you change the permissions on your workspace files I am not sure VectorWorks will see the change until you quit the application and relaunch it to reload the Workspaces.

Were the permissions read only when you checked them? Did you change them to read/write, then quit and relaunch VectorWorks?

As for the RenderWorks Camera, the Classic Workspace erroneously contains the RenderWorks camera even if you have not installed RenderWorks. And the plug-in is only installed when you have RenderWorks. So you will always get this irritating message when you save your workspace until you remove the camera from your workspace, or until you install RenderWorks.

To fix this, if you do not have RenderWorks, just delete the RenderWorks Camera tool from your workspace. The tool can be found on the Rendering palette. If you later purchase RenderWorks you can always put the plug-in back in your workspace.

Maybe Nemetschek should consider giving intructions on how to add this into the workspace once RenderWorks is installed, rather than already having it on the workspace even if RenderWorks is not installed. Maybe this is an intentional marketing ploy to get you to buy RenderWorks, but I will assume it is just an oversight.

When you are in "Get Info" about the workspace file, scroll to the bottom where the permissions are set. Expand "Details" and make sure "Read & Write" is set for all three options - Owner, Group, Others.