Total length of lines

I believe you will have to compose them into polylines/polygons, then holding shift select them all, then there will be a total perimeter value in the Obj Info Pall.

All lines will have to be composed for it to work. Give that a try.

Spinner

Mac Pro 2.66 OS 10.4.7

VW 12.5.2 Architect and RW

You can do this with a worksheet fairly easily.

Create a new worksheet and create a database row. For the criteria, Click More Choices so there are four rows. Set each of them to Type is and in the last column select Line, Circle, Arc and Oval for each one.

In the database header row first column type =T, In the database header row second column type =Length. The second column should now show the total length of each object and the header row should show the sum of all the lengths.

Create a second database row. For the criteria put in two rows and set them to be Type is and enter Polyline and Polygon for the choices.

In the database header row first column type =T, In the database header row second column type =Perim. The second column should now show the total length of each object and the header row should show the sum of all the lengths.

In another cell (preferably at the top of the worksheet type in = and click the first total. then type + and click in the second total. This cell will now give you the overall total length of all your objects.

If there are other object types that I have forgotten, try adding them to the two database criterias and see which one give the proper answer.

If you need to limit the objects selected more, you can edit the criteria to only do objects on a certain layer or in a certain class.

I hope I have made this clear enough.

Pat

• Like 2

Pat,

You solved this clearly and perfectly for me, thanks! I limited the rows by layer, but had them include all types in the drawing (which included rectangle as well as all that you mentioned).

And I see that I can move things around in my drawing and recalculate - so I'll be able to try out some different layouts and see which will have the shortest laser cut length and time.

Thanks again!

• 15 years later...

In VW2023 you can select multiple lines and get the total length.

You can select multiple Polygons, polylines, regular polygons, circles and rectangles and get the total perimeter (excludes hidden edges and "connecting" edged of Open Polygons).

If you have a mixture of Polys and lines, you don't get the total length.

Arcs also do not support having the arc length summed.

Sorry.  Maybe someone else has a better idea.

• Like 1