Importing pdf crashes VW

I get it to print to PDF. on my Mac it happens in the 'print set-up' on my Dell it comes from an Adobe set up as a print to comand, if you get the professional version of ADOBE Publisher or something like that. our computer guy has me hooked up with a free version ov 'print to pdf' - So if I understand it, it is not VW which needs to do it, but rather your print preferances that handle it.

Danny

There is no error message, VW just crashes.

Additional info.: I can export a drawing as a pdf. I then opened a new drawing and tryed importing that same pdf just created and VW crashes!

If I take any drawing that has a pdf in it and remove the pdf, the new system opens the drawing.

I can also view the same pdfs with Adode reader. Everything else, including VW is working fine, until I try to import a pdf...

New MacBook Pro 17" w/ new High Res. widescreen option.

More info. looks like this is a VW 12.5.2 bug.

I reinstalled VW to 12.0.0 and everything works fine. I then downloaded the current 12.5.2 update (the larger one) and now it doesn't work.

Might it be the graphics card? Most of our iMacs use the ATI Radeon cards, this new MacBook Pro 17" is using a GeForce 8600M GT card (NVIDIA).

I tested this issue on a MacBook Pro we purchased a few months ago and everything works fine. The only difference between the old MacBook Pro and the new one, besides memory 1GB vs 2GB, is the graphics card. The new MacBook Pros are now shipping with an NVidia card, which is not used in any of the other Macs.

I've submitted a bug fix request.

The pdf's come in from different sources; word, excel, autocad, scanners, etc.

We've tryed the new system with quartz imaging on and off.

When we export a pdf (300dpi) we've used both the VW File Export pdf function and the File print save as pdf function. The new system doesn't have any problems creating pdfs or viewing them with Acrbat Reader. It's only when we try to open a VW drawing with a pdf in it or import a pdf into a drawing.

Keep in mind that all of our other iMacs and MacBook Pros are working fine with these same drawings and pdfs.

• 8 years later...

SOLUTION: Ok, so just stumbled across this thread with the crash on PDF import problem. I had the same trouble on an old but recently rebuilt MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and Vectorworks 12.5.3. After looking at all the above suggestions, including turning Quartz on and off (no difference) I found the solution was to get rid of some bad fonts! So I disabled the bad and duplicate fonts via Font Book and then also had to hand remove some really stubborn fonts from User>Library>Fonts and voila everything works again!!