Does VW run smoothly on non-pro MacBook?

Hi!

I've been thinking of making "The Switch" and buy a MacBook. However, I'd like to have a small-sized laptop, so, it would be easy to transport, and I'd use external screen if I'd work with VW or anything else that is more comfortable to do with a larger screen.

Here's my beef though: while MacBooks 13" screen would suit my needs with an external screen, I've got my doubts with the integrated graphics card. Will it suffice?

So, I'm asking anyone who has had experience with using VW on the latest MacBook... Is the non-pro MacBook weak for VW? What about rendering? Is "pro" a must? What would you recommend?

Thanks for reading. :)

I just switched to a 2.4 MBP from a 2.0 intel iMac 17" from a 1.5 PB G4 12". Everything sped up on each transition, particularly the last one and in particular, 3d renderings. My criteria was the graphics card; the iMac was the 2.0 Ghz model w/x1600 graphics, not the 950 whatever of the base version, which is what the MB has, I think.

I was reluctant to try what you are saying with an external monitor of any size and haven't regretted the choices, even though it means more $$ and lugging around the 15" screen, which I find a pleasure to work on all by itself.

I had held out until Apple's iMac decisions last month, in the hope they would bring out a 12" intel MBP, and finally gave up waiting. Should appear any day now.

Hope this helps...

Edited by Don Berinati

Thanks for replies everyone, but has anyone experienced the performance differences between (perferrably the latest) MacBook and MacBook Pro?

And has anyone used an external monitor in any way, not just on Mac? My plan was pretty raw in this aspect and I've never used one myself. Any reasons why this would be a bad idea?

Sorry, no experience in either area higgins... but, I'm picking any screen draw performance you lose by using an external screen with the MacBook will be more than made up by the fact that you've got so much more screen area.

In most situations, where the budget can handle it, I'd advise people to go with the most powerful machine available because from my experience this is the most economic way to go when you take everything into account over the long term. But in this case I can really appreciate wanting to have as smaller machine as possible. The larger MacBook Pro really is a large object to lug around, and the 15" is arguably the worst of both worlds (while also arguably the best).

I've just started using VW and am running 12.5.2 on a 1.83 GHz Macbook w/ 2G RAM. I use an external monitor and am pleased with the performance. I haven't noticed any performance hit when using the external display. I haven't worked on any really large files yet or done any extensive rendering so I can't say how this set up will perform but, for me, so far so good.

As I understand it, the only rendering that is really affected by the video card performance is OpenGL - all other rendering is processor dependent. If my understanding is correct, then you shouldn't see a huge performance difference going to a MB Pro (assuming similar G Hz and memory.)

I upgraded to 2GB RAM to make sure that there was always enough memory for the integrated video card and the rest of the system. My only "problem" now is that I'm beginning to run out of hard drive space. I had been using ACAD on a PC so I didn't upgrade the HD in the MB. Easily fixed though - I just pop out the battery, loosen a few screws, slide out the old HD and slide in a new one - try that with the MB Pro.

I used to be of the opinion that you should always buy the "best" computer that you could afford. Now, the performance differences don't always justify the cost. I doubt very much that a MB Pro is going to be twice as fast as a MB but it's still twice the cost. I'm starting to think that I'll be better off buying a less expensive machine with the intention of replacing it more regularly than I would if I spent more.

Just my 2c.

Sorry, no experience in either area higgins... but, I'm picking any screen draw performance you lose by using an external screen with the MacBook will be more than made up by the fact that you've got so much more screen area.

That's what I figured... The screen area matters the most. You can't really work through a keyhole.

I've just started using VW and am running 12.5.2 on a 1.83 GHz Macbook w/ 2G RAM. I use an external monitor and am pleased with the performance. I haven't noticed any performance hit when using the external display. I haven't worked on any really large files yet or done any extensive rendering so I can't say how this set up will perform but, for me, so far so good.

I'm in no hurry with my switch, and I'd appreciate if you'd inform me how did your huge files and renderings go, if you finally get to that. :)

As I understand it, the only rendering that is really affected by the video card performance is OpenGL - all other rendering is processor dependent. If my understanding is correct, then you shouldn't see a huge performance difference going to a MB Pro (assuming similar G Hz and memory.)

This definetly sounds like good news, only I've got no idea when this OpenGL is used in practice. :blush:

OpenGL is a type of rendering, it's used alot in games and 3D work like VW it can produce ok rendering quick sketchy and blocky but is more of the style you would see in a program like sketchup.

I have a 2Ghz Macbook with the 2Gb of ram the preformance is pretty good for some fairly complex models as well as simple, although it is a laptop and well heat will build up with the rendering is running full steam for an hour or so with a few renders back to back.

So good for occasional renders but i wouldn't want to have it do one of those overnight batch render jobs.

I've had a chance to use a promachine as well but only for half a day, on the whole i'd say that preformance was on par with what you expect for the increase is speed, maybe a tad snappier switching applications or situation where the screen is refreshed fully.

On the whole the pro is better where you are using it as a desktop replacement, i wanted portablity and the macbook seems a better fit for me.

Used the macbook with second montior and projector which is ok but the mini-dvi connector just doesn't seem as solid as the full size ones you get on the pro.

• 2 months later...

Okay. I've ditched the external screen idea meanwhile. I guess it would be too much of a hassle.

But has any of you MackBook users tried that rendering out now?

Also, I'm a bit vary on the Intel graphics card. I mean, if every render except OpenGL were processor based, why would graphics card development be so important? I'm no expert on that thought. That's why I'm asking. :)

why would graphics card development be so important?

Because of the Core Foundation and Quartz which only use the Video Processor & VRAM .

See this 176kb example created with VW & Quartz Composer ( free with OSX Developer install )

http://www.fractalnet.org/QTZ_LCD_Sph4DetCell.htm

This one is only 279kb of code.You can view with browser or right-click > download view with QT or Quartz Composer:

http://www.fractalnet.org/QTZ/FrtTurbineCells.qtz

Here's a 2mb straight Quartz code. You can view with browser or right-click > download view with QT or Quartz Composer:

http://www.fractalnet.org/QTZ/LCD_SphDet37Cells.qtz

I don't curretnly own a mac nor have I one available for viewing these files. How can I view them under Windows XP?

http://www.fractalnet.org/QTZ_LCD_Sph4DetCell.htm

This QTZ file is embedded in the browser via QuickTime. Therefore, if you have QuickTime installed as a mime type then it will launch >read the embedded QTZ code>send it to the video processor > display the results within the QT/QTZ container in your browser. The end result is remarkably efficient ... about 24x smaller file than a similar mpeg .. and it's dynamically changing based on the random generators within the QTZcode !

However, Quartz code requires newer generation video cards that recognize the VPU direct calls by which VPU&VRAM handle most of the rendering commands... which are normally sent to the main CPU then back to the videocard for display.

The end result is a multiple-parallel-processor super computer !

Opera doesn't have a mime type

No Marcel Marceau for A Night at the Opera?

While IRL, Opera is an extravagant waste of money, the browser is, I believe, quite lean & mean, in the spirit of the great John Gay.

Then a Mohock, a Mohock I'll be,

No Laws shall restrain

Our Libertine Reign,

We'll riot, drink on, and be free.

Safari3 opens and displays .qtz at full screen & full res ...beautiful... really ..

The link also crashed my Safari 3. I also tried Firefox... and Internet Explorer told me I needed additional software. I sure hope not all of those (IE didn't specify what would I need).

But that's all beside the point. The point is that I don't get what do these animations tell me if they all run smoothly on Macbook.

The point is that I don't get what do these animations tell me if they all run smoothly on Macbook.

Only means that you have a modern videocard installed and that OSX Core Foundation is working great.

Don't know what to say about your Browse issues.

One other thing... take a look at QuartZ Composer app. and play with the

examples provided with the Dev Install ... see into the future ...