Solids

Would like to have comment and VW to have a look into the following.

Solids:

1. Piping - Please provide a decent piping / tube tool that can be used in x,y,z (i,j,k) planes as needed according design but is 100% accurate.

2. Alignment of solids - total discrace and do not fit VW profile.Try and fit an angled pipe to a straight pipe. impossible to get faces true and accurate together. It is a nudging for ever and to get a 3D locus to each side and then get it joined.... oh come on. If there is a other way I would like someone to explain it to me. It will be appreciated.

3.Workplane - love the workplane tool as it is a simple operation and easy to use BUT the 3 points mode can have the choice of fixing it to the center or as offset to the default point. Will be of great help.

4. Assembling - as per alignment, maybe the alignment can be only a tool to align all 3 D's and have an assembling / join tool. Come on VW this is a straight and simple tool that some $ 100 packages have. The options of join by face, by edge, by point etc for that $ 100 is even built in.

5. Reference Point - By holding down the OPTION/SHIFT you can move the reference point to where it can be used most effectively to rotate, move and copy as preferred. It will speed up production. BTW money is time and time is money.VW is not very much helpful in this area currently.

6. Detail Bubble - can someone please make a plan and get the extension line to start at the edge of the bubble and not in the centre of the numerical value. It sure do not look very professional to have your numerical value with a line through it.

7. Point to Point Move & Copy Tool - a must have been there already basic tool.

8. 3D Dimensioning - Why lagging this far behind ? - cannot understand this issue. Most design these days are 3D.

9. Brush Patterns - With transparency, fit modes, center point modes and focus scale - a $ 100 TC program have these simple everyday needed usefull option - why not a $ 2,500 VW program ?

10. ALGOR TAB - How can I miss this one - to go straight to Algor FEA program that accept the VW *.mcd extension without conversions.

Thank you in advance for all rectifyiing works at VW !

Hope V13 is something to be handy with these functions.

5. Reference Point - By holding down the OPTION/SHIFT you can move the reference point to where it can be used most effectively to rotate, move and copy as preferred. It will speed up production. BTW money is time and time is money.VW is not very much helpful in this area currently.

Are you referring to the datum? This can be set at any time with the G key.

6. Detail Bubble - can someone please make a plan and get the extension line to start at the edge of the bubble and not in the centre of the numerical value. It sure do not look very professional to have your numerical value with a line through it.

Does your Detail Bubble have a solid fill in the Attributes palette?

7. Point to Point Move & Copy Tool - a must have been there already basic tool.

You already have this ability. Ctrl-drag will drag a copy off the original. Grab by the correct snapping point and drag a copy to where you need it.

Cris Dopher

5. Reference Point - No not the datum - In 2D and 3D I would like to see a Reference point (In TC it is marked Yellow) and by selecting while holding SHIFT you can move it either manualy or by x,y,j (i,j,k) values. It react then about that point for all commands given. Take for example a VW drawn square and try and rotate it only about the upper square corner. It do not work in VW. A simple action but time consuming in VW. Forget about Duplicate Array Option - it is click, click, click for ever in VW instead of a plain and simple solution.

6. Detail Bubble - Thank you, my mistake. Just never thouht of filling it.

7. Point to Point Move & Copy Tool - Download that tool from the "adds" site and you wil see exactly what I mean. Again use a VW drawn square . Try and CTRL DRAG it from the centre square point - Nothing happens and is very frustrating. Again IF THERE WAS a reference point it would have been in the centre and being shifted where you wanted and be moved with very short time cycle in the operation. Same to Move. VW allow only the highlighted edges/line centres. Although I downloaded it, the Move Tool give a hellva big instruction bar below the screen and you have to close it manually most of the time. Nice tool but it have that irritating "instruction screen"

Should I being mistaken by anything here it will be appreciated if I can be shown the coorect way. Thank You.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

clb, you said "7. Point to Point Move & Copy Tool ... Again use a VW drawn square . Try and CTRL DRAG it from the centre square point - Nothing happens and is very frustrating."

Try filling the square. The paradigm in VW is filled objects can be picked (i.e. selected) anywhere, and unfilled objects can be picked only along their edges.

Thank you Robert. Your advice is appreciatted.

There still is a problem with that too. Say for instance you have two squares on top of each other with a line through the centre point. You highlight the two squares and want to do a SHIFT DRAG on them. When you select then the line gets dragged and the two squares you wanted to moves stays behind. Bad one this. It should take the highligted items. That is why I keep hammering a decent and workable Reference Point option/availability & operation.

It would still be great if VW can have a Reference Point which you as user can position as you like in 2D and 3D and all the commands given revolve about that point.

Take for example a VW drawn square and try and rotate it only about the upper square corner. It do not work in VW.

clb, you can rotate any object about any point using the Rotate tool. Click on any point to define the center of rotation, click again to define the axis, click a third time to define the orientation to which you want the axis rotated. It couldn't be simpler or more straightforward, and is one example of a tool that is much more intuitive than the AutoCAD version.

Alternatively, before executing the 3rd click you can enter an angle in the data box to constrain the rotation to a specific value.

MOVE:

- Select your objects.

- Begin the drag and then hold the Shift key down to constrain the drag.

DRAG A COPY:

- Select the objects.

- Hold the Control key down and begin your drag (this creates the copied objects).

- Hold the Shift key down to constrain the drag.

ROTATE VIA DIALOG BOX:

- Place a 2D locus on the drawing to create an anchor point.

- Select your objects and the locus.

- Double click on the rotate tool and enter your angle in the precision dialog box.

ROTATE ON DRAWING

- See Pete Retondo's post above.

Note: 2D loci can be used as temporary objects to assist with moves and rotates. Just delete them once they are no longer required.

If you have 3 x adjacent objects and you select the two left ones and move to the lower/upper right corner, it picks the NON - Selected one. Still a headache. Hope it is solved ib VW 2008. Small improvements for alot of money. Worth it ?