Geometry problems in tutorial

OK, so I've been working through the tutorials and I was doing the "Extracting Curves From Solids Tutorial" and when I get to the Subtract Solids part at the end, I get: You have tried to create a solid object which cannot be computed. Edit the geometry to resolve this condition and try again."

This is the same error I was getting with my moulding issues. I'm obviously screwing up somehow, but I was following the tutorial? I've attached the drawing, why won't it subtract? (I am subtracting the curve from the top of the block.)

Edited by drmdzh
I was following the tutorial? I've attached the drawing, why won't it subtract?

Because the 3D engine that NNA licenses is flakey and unreliable?

Sorry to sound like a smart ar**, but in my experience this is normal behaviour. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

For what it's worth, I looked at your file and couldn't find anything wrong with it, so I did the exercise myself as per the tutorial.

I got the same result as you.

Perhaps we both did it wrong, but I suspect not.

I'll have a bit more of a go, if I can get it to work I'll let you know

N

Oddly enough, that is such a relief to me!

Well I understand what you mean. {:-/

Solids operations have become more reliable in recent versions, but I personally reached a point of just expecting them to fail. Then when they worked it was a pleasant surprise.

This may sound like I'm being a smart ar** again, but it is literally true.

Just to illustrate what I mean by unreliable: this morning I did the same operation with the same steps and the same sizes; ................and it worked.

What can I say? Restart VW, open a new file and try it again?

N.

PS in contrast you might want to look at this thread to see the sorts of things VW Can do when it's in the mood

"pillow" thead

Edited by propstuff