mirrored text

Dieter @ DWorks

Question

Whenever text is mirrored you get this:

mirrored text.jpg

This is very annoying because it is not mirrored.

If you use symbols that can be mirrored and uses text and some other objects and text referenced to a record, The whole symbol is messed up when mirrored.

What I want to is that VW should mirror the loci, the align and the bounding box of the text object. Then we have truly mirrored text, like it should be.

Edited by DWorks

9 answers to this question

The distance from the far right of the object to the mirror plane will be the same distance as the far left of the object to the mirror plane when mirrored.

This is true no matter the object type, and is the true definition of mirror.

Can you provide a precise example of how you are attempting to mirror a symbol with text?

Is it something that could be addressed using the duplicate mode & mirror (single - 1st mode) ?

MullinRJ-

I think he wants the text to remain right-reading, but the issue is that he expects the left side of the duplicate text block the same distance away from the mirror line as the right most bounding box edge of the text block on the left.

Katie: the bounding box of the text is true mirror, but not the loci that is the input point of the text, this stays in the upper left corner. It should move from the upper left to the upper right corner for true mirror. Then the alignment should also change from left to right to have a true mirror.

MullinRJ: yes. If I turn it off, it will become a true mirror, only the text will be unreadeble. So my wish is to use this method for mirroring text BUT dont mirror the words themselves.

So when mirroring text it should always be like you turn of the option 'adjust flipped text' BUT the text itself should stay the same (not flipped). So what has to be done? Let the alignment and the loci not adjust, but only the text itself.

I hope its clear now.

Why? because when you flip a viewport, you can't change the alignment yourself.

I still got a headache on this issue. So I wanted to now if this is solved in VW2008?

If not, here is another explanation and a pic to see what the problem is:

textmirror.jpg

The text on the left is the original

The text on the right is the mirrored text

I have drawn the loci with a dot and the bounding box with a rectangle so that it is clear what I mean.

If you mirror text now, the bounding box is the only thing that will be mirrored. the text and the loci of the text will be on the same place relative to the bounding box.

The problem is that when you adapt the text, like in the second example, the bounding box will resize in the wrong direction.

I know you can adapt the loci and the alignment. BUT you can't if it is a symbol with text that is related to a record! So that's where the real problem lies.

What mirrored text should be (with adjust flipped text on) is the third example: mirror the loci and the bounding box and adjust the alignment.

I hope this is understandeble, because when you use a lot of symbols with text related to a record, it's hell.

Edited by DWorks

I really hoped that this was solved in VW2008, but it's not.

So I ask again: Let text be true mirror.

By true mirror I mean mirror the input loci of the text and change its alignment.

We really need this for using text attached to a record in a symbol. You'll never know how long the text will be, and when mirroring the symbol, then changing the text, the textbox will expand the wrong direction.

For those that doesn't understand me, try the following:

create a symbol. put text in it left aligned. attach a record to the text. draw a line left of the textbox.

When using this symbol, you'll can change the text in anything you want and it will be ok.

Now mirror the symbol, and change the text to make it longer. You'll see that the text will cross the line and will expand to the right, which is not the behavior wanted.