Performance on iMac with Windows

Here at the office I use VW 12.5.x on an iMac with a 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo processor and 2 Gb of RAM, with Mac OS X 10.4.10. It runs very fast, with no problems. As curious as I am, I installed Boot Camp on the iMac, and then Windows XP as there was an available license here. Then I also loaded AutoCAD 2008 and I installed VW 12 also, to try the behaviour.

Suprinsingly for me, VW performs very slow in Windows, with long delays when panning and selecting tools. I found it unusable. In comparison, Autocad performs flawless, very fast, no delays, no problems.

Why this happens? I understand an iMac and its video card are not workstation class, but since the performance is excellent in Mac OS X, I was expecting the same under Windows XP. Are the Apple supplied XP video drivers for the ATI Radeon X1600 not well developed? (I suppose this as many times the drivers are mentioned here as cause of slow performance). The video card should be more than enough since I also use a MacBook which has an Intel GMA 950 chipset with only 64 MB of shared VRAM and it also performs vey well in OS X (haven't tested the MacBook with XP).

Any ideas or experiences with the same conbfiguration?

Thank U.

It doesn't sound like a video card/driver problem because then Autocad would run lousy also.

After installing VW 12 last fall, VW would freeze whenever I tried to render with open GL, Autocad was working just fine. This problem was resolved by updating my video driver.

It's possible that the driver being used by XP is the one that installed with the XP OS and is out of date.

The most recent XP driver for your card is dated 13 Aug,2007. It can be downloaded here:

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeonx-xp.html

George

Edited by G_Hannigan
Maybe VW uses OpenGL differently than Autocad, but this problem would only occur if you are using OpenGL rendering.

Yes and VW seems to be very sensitive to video card drivers. There are many problems in the forum that have been resolved after updating the video card. It could have something to do with the way VW interacts with Quicktime. In any case, it's worth a try.