VP only update when clicking update.

Dieter @ DWorks

Question

This is the situation now:

* all rendered viewports do not rerender untill you click the update button.

* all the 2D views viewports rerender all te time, even if they don't change.

The problem I'm having is that when you have lots of viewports with 2D views on a sheet layer, VW gets very slow to constantly update them when moving through the sheet layer.

What I want is:

* an option to choose if the 2D views vp should be rerendered automaticly or only when you click update.

This way you can turn it off when you have a small project and turn it on when you have a large project.

This should not be too difficult to implement. And it should be a great improvement in workflow.

3 answers to this question

This, I think, exposes the basic problem with Viewports - the processor and storage overhead. NNA needs to put its best engineers on solving and optimizing this whole process, because it could balloon into a constant nightmare as users start to discover more and more creative uses for viewports.

One solution I've suggested is caching a 72 dpi version of VPs for screen display, so that updating that screen version and storing it would take far less power and RAM. Another solution I've suggested is streamlining saves (incremental save), so that only changed objects are saved instead of the entire file. These things in tandem with allowing control over updates as suggested by DWorks would go a long way towards making things work faster.

This is not just a problem with VW. AutoCAD stalls in a major way with multiple layouts.