trying to create moulding

This seems like it should be easy...

I designed a piece of moulding for an interior, using the polygon tool and ellipse tool, then edited out the excess using the trim.

I then extruded, fine, I get a 3d wireframe object, but nothing I try will make it render as a solid. I've done so many combinations of "convert" at this point, before and after extruding, I'm pulling my hair out.

Thanks in advance for you help.

What you have done is extrude a bunch of lines. Lines do not have any surface to apply a fill or color to.

Go back and edit the extrusion and use the Compose menu command (under Modify) to change the lines/arcs,etc into a single polyline.

When you exit the edit mode, you should get a surfaced extrusion that can be filled or textured. Make sure that you give it a fill of something other than None in the attributes palette.

Pat

When you say "edit the extrusion" do you mean go back before the extrusion step?

Here's what I tried:

1. Before extrude, Compose then extrude, render. The circular pieces and rendered, the rest of it is a clear box with "rendered" lines.

2. After extrude, Compose, render. Same as above.

The secret is that you need to make a single closed polyline to use as the extrusion.

When I said edit the extrusion, I meant to double click on it. It will then go back to the 2D object that was extruded. You can then edit, change, delete or replace the object when you click the exit box (like in exit symbol or group), the extrusion will update.

The compose tool will only connect objects that have identical end points., so use the Join or Extend/Trim commands to make sure that your lines and arc truly are connected at the end points. Then use the Compose command to combine them into a single object. I might be easier to use the Combine into Surface command or the Paintbucket mode of the polygon tool.

It sounds like what is happening is that the last two points on your polyline are not identical, so it is extruding the line only. You cna also step through each vertex of the polyline (in the object info pallette) and look for one that says "Show Next Edge" and click that to make a closed polyline.

Regards,

Pat

Thanks all. In the end, it took a combination of all of the above to get it to work. The biggest problem was that it was not a closed polyline, which is odd because I figured using the trim command would trim it so it was closed, it didn't, so I had to close the minute gaps between the arcs and lines.

Thanks

David

You have two objects - either fillet out the straight segment, or delete the arc.

Try this one (i actually clipped the arc, then deleted it)

Edited by Katie

The arc was separate from the polyline. It appeared to me, the straight segment the arc was covering was to be replaced with the arc and not remain straight.

Since the Arc overlapped the Polyline, I selected both and went to Modify > Clip surface. The arc still needs deleting, but the arc shape is cut away from the straight segment of the overall polyline.

In order for the profile to work, the objects in the profile have to be one continuous object.