Text Problem

Not sure what you mean by "tabs". Handles-yes.

This is a problem with the font: Romantic.

I was able to replicate the problem in a new document:

Set the font to Romantic.

Type something.

Change the font to anything else.

The characters turn into rectangles with maybe half of the fonts selected.

Must have something to do with whether the font is TrueType or Postscript.

WXP VWA 12.5.2

I think Katie means tab-stop codes in the text string.

I can't replicate the problem you described, trying several other fonts, but Postscript fonts don't even show up in my list of fonts in VW, and Romantic is a TTF on my system.

Changing to rectangles usually means that those rectangles represent codes for which the first font had characters but the second one doesn't, as for example if you typed in a foreign language and then changed to a font that doesn't have a code page for that language. But I don't know why that would happen with Romantic. My Romantic.ttf has only an English code page.

Which fonts are you choosing (switching to)?

The current font isn't the problem, it's whatever you are selecting.

The other thing to check is whether you have a font mapping assigned to set one of the desired fonts to some crazy font.

You can find font mapping in the Display tab of VW prefs

It looks like Times and Arial use double-byte character codes, and Romantic, Technic, and SansSerif use single-byte. If the change to rectangles were to happen when you go to the other way, there'd be some things I could suggest, but I can't think of any way it could happen going from single-byte to double-byte. Maybe it's a glitch in your installation. Or I guess it could be a VW bug, but it seems hard for something like that to slip by unnoticed.

What happens when you copy/paste the text block to a new blank document and try to change the text?

If you create a new text block in a new file, can you change the font from Romantic to something else successfully?

Yep, you are right.

-----

What about setting the font to something other than Romantic, and then changing it to something else?

Can you post a file with a small text block demonstrating the behavior?

What version of VW are you using?

I can duplicate it in that file - I've sent it off to the engineers for review.

When you tested this earlier in a new document, did you use a new, blank document or a template file?

I was referring to the original post. I had asked you to try this in a new document, but wasn't sure if it was a new or template document.

In a new, blank document,add a text block assigned to the Romantic font. Change the text to Ariel.

Do you get the boxes in this file too?

Do you have an other versions of VW installed?

Have you tried this in other programs?

Do you have this problem in other programs?

There's either something going on with your installation of VW, or the fonts themselves on your computer.

Are you using any special keyboard setting or OS language setting?

I was asking specifically about the new, blank document because if you were using a template file, and the template file is corrupted, that could be the source of this issue.

Edited by Katie

You can try removing VW and the registry keys, and reinstalling.

I'm not sure what the problem is. When I open your files, I can duplicate the problem but I am unable to duplicate the problem in files I create.