Handle duplicate symbol names with WGR

P Retondo

Question

When the "target" file and "contributor" file contain symbols with the same name, there is a conflict. I just lost some work because I updated a WGR and an edited symbol in my "target" file reverted because it was replaced by a symbol of the same name in the contributor file.

If this conflict arises, I would prefer that VW give us the option of renaming one or both of the symbols. Or, better yet, automatically rename all resources brought in by WGR with some kind of filename suffix. That will allow us to track things a lot better. This could be implemented by having a user-controlled resource suffix assigned the first time a contributor file is referenced.

2 answers to this question

If this conflict arises, I would prefer that VW give us the option of renaming one or both of the symbols.

What about the "Use this symbol" option? I think it would be good if a large window popped up showing all pairs of conflicts and allowing you to choose visually.

Or, better yet, automatically rename all resources brought in by WGR with some kind of filename suffix.

I think I'd prefer not to have hundreds of new symbols being created when WGRing. I can see that being a nightmare of a situation.

Christiaan, good comments. I think we should be given the choice, and your idea about displaying all the objects in one window so we could make choices in one go is excellent. Clearly, once there is a sufficient number of symbols involved, the glut of objects could become similar to the $name nightmare of AutoCAD Xrefs.