Does Vectorworks run with Linux ubuntu 7.whatever?

Matt P

Question

19 answers to this question

I would like to see that Nemetschek give their support to the Wine project. I just read at winehq.org that Photoshop CS2 now works with wine, I guess PS CS3 will do it soon. With news like this I really think it is time now for VW to go for Linux! And take a good position in the expanding Linux market. The little effort would probably be payed off immidiatly and as a spinnoff give VW god advertise in magazines, forums etc as the real crossplatform cad alternative!

Hi all,

I'm using Wine 1.1.29 under Ubuntu 9.04 x86 and the installation of both VW 2008 and 2009 went well. VW 2008 starts normally but I'm unable to install the HASP key (Wine warns that I don't have write access into system32), thus without a serial number the program won't even start. VW 2009 isn't working at all.

Hi,

I was curios and tried (about half year ago) to run VW 2008 under Mandriva 2009-Spring using most recent Wine package at that time downloaded from the repository.

As I remember, resolution of icons was degraded - pixelated - badly readable. I was able to open and save files, draw, render models, but everything was extreamly slow, VW often crashed down or froze ...

I ran it on MicroStar GX700PX notebook (core 2 duo-2GHz/2GB RAM / nVidia GeForce 8600M GT)..

Guest jkelly

Oops, I didn't see that this was a continuation of an already existing thread.

To your specific HASP question, if you could get the HASP drivers running in Wine/Crossover it may work, but I could see this being a real hurdle.

Edited by jkelly

Hi jkelly,

I believe the HASP driver released by Alladin would support only Ubuntu 8.04 kernels. Since I've upgraded to 10.04, I don't think I can get it running that easily. I've managed to install the HASP SRM Admin Control Center, but mounting the dongle itself is the "real hurdle". :-)

There's a accompanying readme onto the "HASP_SRM_LINUX_3.50_Run-time_Installer_script.tar.gz" with the further instructions:

1. In /etc/fstab, enter none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0.

2. Mount /proc/bus/usb. The file /proc/bus/usb/devices is displayed.

This is the point where I'm struggling with, the mounting procedure doesn't work at all, terminal says that the device doesn't exists. However, if i run lsusb, the system indicates the dongle:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0529:0001 Aladdin Knowledge Systems HASP v0.06

Any help here is appreciated, since I won't get it from Alladin (they say the support will come from the vendors).

Thanks for your interest in the subject.

Guest jkelly

Unfortunately since we don't officially support Linux, we as a company have no experience with the HASP dongles on Linux. I'm a pretty big fan of Linux however, so how about you and I just try and do this by the seat of our pants and see if we can get anywhere. No guarantees, but I'm happy to help.

First, note that you don't actually mount the dongle. I've played around a bit with the dongle on Linux and on my Mac using dtrace, and it seems the driver notes the insertion and removal of the dongle, and certainly reads data from it, but it's not mounted as a mass storage device.

So I think the question here really is, how do you make Wine/Crossover recognize the usb device at that location? This is something I've actually had trouble with even using VMWare on my desktop here, so I'm not 100% sure there's a good answer.

This may be relevant, let me know if it helps you out at all:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wine/94500-serial-ports-wine.html

I appreciate your willing to help. Although Linux support from NNA is pretty much non-viable economically-wise, topics like this one might pop up more frequently due to the popularity of certain Linux distros (Fedora, Ubuntu, to name a few). Nevertheless, the Linux tradition, so to speak, is that support usually comes from its enthusiasts, rather then software companies themselves. As a matter of fact, I've managed to get Lotus Notes up and running through a Linux user blog instead of IBM's knowledge base.

Back to topic: I'm unsure if I understood correctly when you say that "I don't actually mount the dongle". According to Aladdin, the mounting is necessary, isn't it? The problem here, I think, is Lucid (Ubuntu 10.04): following the procedure described on my previous post will get me an error during start-up.

"an error ocurred while mounting /proc/bus/usb"

At this moment I don't have the time (and energy) to try out the HASP driver on Ubuntu 8.04, supposedly supported by Alladin. But, I may check this in the future.

By the way, I'm evaluating the 30-day trial version of Vw2010 here. So far, so good. What do you think about creating a sort of "Wine appreciation topic" exchanging related experiences?

Guest jkelly

Well, I could be wrong, but I don't think you need to mount it because on my Mac it isn't a mounted filesystem. I had previous played around with the dongle under Linux and could find no way to mount it either.

Certainly if it were a mounted filesystem (as a usb mass storage device) it would seem trivial to defeat the hardware protection the dongle offers, but I could be wrong.

I expected going into this that essentially you'd want the Wine instance to recognize the hardware itself, and this:

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2008-July/067114.html

implies to me that that may be the case. I'm a bit surprised to hear about it trying to be mounted under Linux, but at the same time I'm not quite sure we want to get it running under Linux, perhaps the approach we need to take is like above, trying to get Wine to access to the hardware. Googling around doesn't yield too much, perhaps it is worth posting to the Wine mailing list?

Just to wade in a little here, i have vectorworks 2010 working well using wine 1.3 on ubuntu 10.04. The odd thing is that while the online activation worked perfectly i can't seem to check for updates, ie SP4 from within the program it just tells me i have to be connected to the internet which i am.

Anyway that's just a minor thing. Besides that i'm completely happy with how it's behaving under wine.

Guest jkelly

Awesome. Any specific effort getting it to work or did it work out of the box?

The check for updates thing is strange, it should just be a simple http call.

Thanks for sharing!

There were a few things i had to install first. I used winetricks to install gdiplus, dotnet (i installed versions 2 and 3), visual basic runtime (i installed all version winetricks offered), visual basic C++ libraries (once again all versions on offer). I think that was about it. Strangely the help system installed straight up on my laptop but not my desktop. So i installed the native linux version of adobe air and installed VW help that way. It only means i have to launch VW help externally.

One other sometimes frustrating thing is copy and paste doesn't always work properly. I can always copy from a native linux ap like say open office into vectorworks but copy and pasting within VW or from VW to office does not always work and it often pastes the last thing i copied from office instead. I'll report this as a bug on the Wine bugzilla when i get the chance. Oh another one for the Wine bugzilla guys is creating or editing text within the drawing area can cause VW to crash. Copying from Office into Vectorworks works around this.

Having looked through the wine forums i'm quite confident the wine dev's can fix these problems reasonably soon after i report them.

Cheers,

Matt