Synchronizing Class Attributes

EZ

Is there an easy way to synchronize class attributes from file to file?

For example, I have wall sections drawn in six different VectorWorks files. All of the objects in each file are drawn using a different class for each material; concrete walls in a concrete class, steel members in a steel class, etc. (The graphic attributes for each item are assigned by class.) I've now decided I want to change how the concrete objects are hatched in all of the files. Do I have to manually edit the class attributes in each file to get them all the same? I know copying objects from file to file is an easy way to import classes and their attributes, but in this case all of the classes I want to edit already exist. I'm looking for the VW equivalent to the "Load Styles" function in Adobe InDesign...

Eric

Is there an easy way to synchronize class attributes from file to file?

Yes, but it is not part of any official VectorWorks issue. Since there was no commercial demand for such functionality, the add-on was never developed to handle hatches or textures. (No, now I'm not telling the truth: of course it was! I use it every so often to do these things!)

However, there may be a way even in official VectorWorks. You can "load" classes from Stationary files. Never used it, so I don't know how it actually works (or is used) but might be worth investigating. May even be easy, who knows!

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

We use the eyedropper tool fairly often, but generally from object to object within a file rather from file to file. We also always set up our class attributes from an external standards file as Petri suggests. Creating a class from scratch is the easy part; globally changing the attributes once they already exist is harder.

I'm going to try the workgroup referencing as Jim suggests and see if that works. I'll report any success.

Eric