z for walls

Dieter @ DWorks

Question

I like the new walls of VW12, but I'm missing something.

We can set our wall so that it gets the height of the layer.

We can even set the extra height it must get.

So we can have our walls to be the height of the layer + the floorpackage.

If we import our walls, they are always on z=0. I always need to change it to z=-extra height. This is because of the floorpackage that's under the level of the layer.

I think it would be a great improvement if we can set the z of the wall (relative to that of the layer).

DWorks, I'm familiar with the building system you are referring to, and didn't qualify my comments in the interests of brevity. But, surely, you build your interior walls on the floor structure!

The point, as you say, is still the same - being able to control the tops and bottoms of components separately would allow us significant advantages. In your case, for example, even though the brick walls extend through the floor structure, the interior finishes don't.

If the NNA engineers take this request to heart it would undoubtedly require rethinking how components are constructed in the code. So while they're at it I'm sure they would be able to tackle the longstanding difficulties with component joins that you refer to.