Referenced Symbols

I'm having trouble with the line weights of referenced symbols. I have a library file set up with my symbols. I've set all of the symbols to have certain line weights, colors, etc... they're also all drawn in the none class. So I open the project file and reference in my library of symbols. When I go to insert the symbols all of the line weights end up taking the attributes of the none class of my project file --colors display correctly but not weights.

-Scott

Well, isn't life just that way... I wish I had a better inheritance. I tried using a different class to import and the symbols, still the right colors, but now every line is the same weight as that class.

I've read enough posts to know that islandmon is one of the best, but there has got to be a solution --this is such a basic thing.

Try this: if you don't want the symbol object to take on the lineweight of the class in the new host file, select the object and make sure the lineweight is just a number, not "Class Thickness." If you have nominated "Class Thickness," the class in the new host file will override the lineweight in your standards file.

This logic applies to all the other attributes as well. If you have nominated the "Use Class" option, the objects will conform to the host file's class attributes (provided that for that class "Use at Creation" is checked).

Note also that when inserting symbols the active class has nothing to do with the class of objects inside the symbol, only with the class of the symbol itself. As a container object, the symbol's class does not affect the various classes of objects within it, except with respect to visibility. Not the clearest structure in the world, but at least we know what to expect.

Time to send out a memo and lock all referenced files... Just goes to show the importance of tight controls over read/write access and file location.

Thanks for the help Pete. I had checked for the "Class Thickness" options and hadn't seen any issues. Looking into it a little more I realized my referenced file had been moved. I was reworking one that was no longer referenced by the file. Looks like I get to go assess the damage of freewheeling files...