Exporting?

Hi there,

I have been a Vectorworks user for about a year now, and a Cinema 4D user for some time before that.

Although fairly proficient in both, I have recently started experimenting with how the two work together, which if successful, would prove a great help in terms of workflow.

I purchased the exchange from Maxon and I have installed it all correctly. I have managed to get a basic model from VW to C4D, and the geometry looks spot on.

However, I am having problems with the texturing side of things. The main reason for wanting to use C4D to finish 3D projects is mainly textures, and lighting.

I want to be able to export the model (untextured) from VW, and bring it into C4D to texture it. The problem I have had is that I can't apply textures to just say, window frames, or sills, the entire window object is textured. I know I could select parts of the geometry and texture it, but is there a way for VW to export these as seperate parts so they can be textured individually. Ideally, be listed in the object manager as 'frames' 'sills' etc.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Tom

Tom,

There is a pdf from Maxon here:

ftp://ftp.maxon.net/pub/documentation/manual_vectorworks_e.pdf

"Export / Import

The goal of the plugins is to transfer the VectorWorks geometry, lights and material

assignments to CINEMA 4D for rendering.

When preparing a VectorWorks file for exporting to CINEMA 4D, there are no specific

rules to follow when modeling in VectorWorks; the important thing is the way in which

you group VectorWorks elements for material assignment in CINEMA 4D.

You can choose these options when you select the CINEMA 4D export command. All

objects with the same criteria for the selected mode will be grouped in CINEMA 4D and

will receive the same material. For example, if you choose Class as the criteria, all objects

having the same class in VectorWorks will be given the same material in CINEMA 4D. If

you choose Fill background color, all objects having the same color in VectorWorks (the

color assigned to the fill part in the attribute palette) will be given the same material in

CINEMA 4D."

Some pre-planning in VW is required to anticipate what happens in C4D. If you export classes, you may have to create additional sub-classes to be able to control the placement of materials.

George