Stairs object not workin correctly

The stair object does not seem to work correctly. this is what it not does:

you can set the class of the 3D objects to style-n.

but when the stair is created, the class is not style-n but instead it is the standard class for the whole object.

Can someone check this?

I also get the following error when trying to change the parameters of the stair:

trap.jpg

The stair works, but I can't edit anything, it stays standard, and it doesn't show like it should be showing.

Edited by DWorks

Now you can really fix what is wrong with the stair tool!

Where would you like me to start?

I'll start with the fact that when I duplicate the stair and place it elsewhere in the model, I cannot delete this stair without all the other stairs deleting!

Also, when I duplicate a stair which is to show both first floor and second floor representations, only one stair shows both.

I spent three hours trying to make this work in one assignment. I finally reverted to exploding the stair (ungroup) into 2D objects to get the right representation.

This stair tool is horrifically buggy, to say the least.

Your suggestions are most welcome at this point.

And, yes, these problems persist with 12.5.2.

Some illustrations to prove my point:

You can see from these files that the stair has not properly been produced in the three views, that in spite of the fact that I had merely duplicated the stair and its attributes and just executed a "flip horizontal" wile in Plan 2D mode.

Any suggestions?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

actually, John, I looked at your JPGs and determined that your stairs were behaving properly. Duplicating a layer-to-layer stair in VW will produce a fixed-height stair (the reason is highly technical and convoluted and has to do with object-to-object associations). Once you duplicate a stair, simply double-click it and set its individual layer associations, and all will proceed apace....

Well, I did get it to work.

Sadly, I found I had to develop each stair individually. What did help was that the setting for the first stair held up for the second stair, which turned out to be a time saver.

From my point of view, though, every element should be able to be retained in its form even when duplicated and edited. There should be no issue whereby the deletion of one stair results in the deletion of all the stairs in the project- and that's what is happening now.

It would behoove Nemetschek to resove these technical issues such as to make VW a true time-saver.

John, you said, "the deletion of one stair results in the deletion of all the stairs in the project- and that's what is happening now". I must respectfully disagree. While I admit there were some association bugs on dual-layer stair objects in early versions of 12 that would in fact cause this problem in certain circumstances, it does not happen with the current release of VW12, and for documents created with earlier versions of VW12, which had stair-object corruption problems, we have released a script (the "fix associations" script) that will fix the problem. Duplicating an associated stair object (using the current release of VW12) will not cause deletion problems.

On the subject of the stair tool, can anyone tell me how to get the handrail to be horizontal at quarter landings? This is what I get every time - an inclined handrail, and it's very annoying:

stair.jpg

Or do I have to model the thing manually? Which would seem to defeat the object of having a handrail component in the stair tool. Any ideas?

EDIT: I'm running VWA 12.5.1 on XP.

Edited by russh
John, you said, "the deletion of one stair results in the deletion of all the stairs in the project- and that's what is happening now". I must respectfully disagree. While I admit there were some association bugs on dual-layer stair objects in early versions of 12 that would in fact cause this problem in certain circumstances, it does not happen with the current release of VW12, and for documents created with earlier versions of VW12, which had stair-object corruption problems, we have released a script (the "fix associations" script) that will fix the problem. Duplicating an associated stair object (using the current release of VW12) will not cause deletion problems.

Well, it happens with my release of VW12.5.2- and I'm not going to be satisfied until this is fixed.

I paid a princely sum of money to upgrade to VW12.5 Architect- over $800.00! And I still get this problem. For my hard-earned money that I spent thinking I'd get a state-of-the-art program, I deserve better than to have spent three hours trying to rectify the problem.

I have no idea where to locate this "fix associations" script anywhere in the program.

None.

I have reason to believe that this could indeed solve my problem.

Should I be in touch with tech support and send you the actual document so you can see how this works? Meanwhile, my sig states what equipment I am running this on.

I have been running versions of this program since 1995. So I don't qualify for neophyte status, thank you. There was nothing in the manuals which even mentioned that thics could be a problem.

Can we please work together and find a REAL solution?

John, call tech support. They will send you the script, which is designed to correct problems with a bug introduced in 12.0.0. (I'm presuming that the problem documents you mention fall into this category.)

You can also download this script from these very forums. Go to this thread:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=9&Number=82562

• 5 months later...

I have experienced the same problem with all stairs of a kind erased ewhen erasing one. It?s very irritating and I have no clue why a stair suddenly behaves like that. Where can I find the "fix stair association" script? Johncruet, did you try the scrip?

I don?t know how many hours I spent on this, but the buggy stairtool shold be fixed. I have also noticed that the leader is only drawn as a line without thickness...