viewport scale/ dimensioning

Hi,

I have two novice questions please.

1) When I create a design layer floor plan @ 1:50 and then a viewport of ONLY the front ( or another ) view which I have also scaled @ 1: 50, the viewport appears @ 1:1 scale even though I have designated 1:50 in both the info pallette and the layers/viewport browser. What am I doing wrong please?

2) So I have created a plan ( design or mod floor 1 layer ) and 4 separate viewports for each view with the rectified scale issue as above. I have also 4 sheet layers, one for each view. Which one do I dimension, the mod floor 1 or the viewport, or the sheet layer. Also is it normal practice to have all views on one viewport and a separate sheet for each elevation ?

Thanks for you help

David

1) are you sure you draw 1m like 1m? I mean do you draw 1:1? So you draw 1m and give in 1m? If so, then check your units.

2) you dimension on wich you want. I dimension on the design layer if the dimensions are general and need to return in different vp. If i need dimensions that need only be on 1vp, I use vp annotation. I never dimension on the sheet layer.

What do you mean by all views on 1 vp???

Do you mean 1 paper in each sheet layer? or different papers in a sheet layer? Use what looks the best option for you.

Here I sometimes use 6 sheets on a sheet layer, sometimes I split them on several sheet layers, it depends on what you want and how big your drawing is.

Re: #1, how do you know that it is 1:1 scale? If you use the ruler tool to measure part of your drawing on the sheet layer, does it return the actual dimension you expect? Or is it just not scaled properly?

I ask because in order to get the proper results when using the ruler tool or the dimensioning tool on a viewport, you have to go into the viewport annotation mode.

Re: #2, I agree with DWorks about dimensioning, and am also unsure of your final question.

You can copy and paste a viewport or duplicate and drag. Then you can enter Edit Crop mode and modify what is actually seen in that viewport by moving or resizing (or deleting and redrawing) the crop object.

Edited by boxjoint

Hi, Thank you for your responses. I will try to explain myself better this time.

I have a dummy project to learn about layers/ viewports/sheets etc. The main design layer is 1/4 to 1 ft and in ft inches and the ruler bar reflects that.

The front elev viewport ruler bar shows inches ( at full size ) even though the info palette shows a scale of 1/4 to 1 ft. ie If I measure the width of the plan in the design layer it is 27' 1 3/4" If I take the dimension tool and measure this in the viewport it is 6 1/2". If I tick the box 'project 2d objects " in the viewport I can see the original 27'1 3/4 " shown from the plan but it is right up against the elev and not offset like the plan.

So I guess there is a ? about "project 2d objects anyway and how do I enter the viewport annotation mode to dimension in the vp ?

The ruler tool shows the elevation @ 6 1/2" not the 27' 1 3/4 so I guess you might know the answer to this " boxjoint "

Thanks and I hope I have explained this better this time.

David

David, I think you have figured it out. The Sheet layers are all at 1:1 scale for objects placed directly in the layer.

Viewports override that scale, and have their own independent scale factors. When you place objects and dimensions "inside" the viewports using "Annotation" editing, they appear at the Viewport's scale.

I have just worked it out and tried the "edit viewport command" and I dimension correctly to scale. However any further advice is always accepted and thank you for your interest and time.

David, I'm glad you got it to work. Personally, I find myself using the Annotations mode much more than the Edit Crop or Edit Design Layer modes. To speed things up, I have used the drop down menu in the Edit Viewport Command where it says Double Click: to select "Edits the Annotations".

Now when I double click a viewport, it goes directly to the Annotation mode. I can still access the other modes via the Edit Viewport Command.

I also have those three choices in my contextual menu, but I can't recall if they were there originally or if I added them.