European standard Elevation Benchmark symbol

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Christiaan, I think the "ISO" standard in the VectorWorks object is not off the mark. I have seen a few minor variations on this, e.g. using unfilled triangle (arrowhead) but what I've seen from our EU users follows the same general theme. (Is there such a thing as a "European draughting standard"? A single one, I mean?)

I'll have to try that islandmon, thanks for the tip.

Robert, the problem with the VW Ele Benchmark tool is that it's got an annoying line down the middle of the unfilled triangle and the horizontal line is in line with the top of the triangle instead of the bottom (which is the point of the level).

As to euro drawing standard, yeah it's ISO. BS ISO 128 I think.

Why don't you submit a bug on this?

Cos I wanted to find out what the actual standard was first. There's what I think it should be and then there's what it is, the later of which I don't know and by the sounds of things VW does have it correct.

Peter, you couldn't post screenshots to clarify could you?

There isn't. We have EU Directives about the shape & size of merchantable cucumbers (honestly we do!), but no draughting standard. Not even a dimensioning standard.

ISO 128 is the European standard is it not?

Robert, ISO 4157 1980 sounds a little out of date to me, but it also looks a little different to what the tool does at my end.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

ISO 128 was last updated in 1982 and is gradually being replaced by more specialized sections. ISO 128 itself is concerned only with very general draughting representational standards (line weights and styles, hatching, projections, views, sectioning). My reference book that includes ISO 4157 is from 1997 and I see that the current version was revised in 1998.

I think the ISO standards are vastly overpriced. To update ISO 4157, which is a 3 page PDF that probably has 10 or 12 words different from the versions of it that I already have, costs about $35 US. By itself, of course, this is nothing. But the ISO standards are like a jungle. They are not arranged to be friendly to the user, they are arranged to make ISO money. I have a two-volume, cheesily-produced, paperback book of standards from ISO, that cost over $400. I know users complain about the cost of keeping VectorWorks up to date, but compared to ISO, we're an absolute bargain. The cost and unfriendlyness of ISO is what makes them more of a "myth" than a useful standard. By this I mean that users seem to know the reference number for ISO standards, but not the content, because the content is too expensive to own.

Lastest update here according to iso.org is 2003, and other parts in 1997 and 2001:

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=32462&showAllRelItems=y

I hear you on the jungle-like nature and expense of such documents but that's an argument for avoiding personal purchase. Surely NNA should be budgeting for this kind of thing to cater to its non-US customers.