Question of "Same floor plan and different layers"

xxabb

Hello everyone, I'm a very freshman of VW with Acad background. Im now using Vw 12.5.

Now I'm making a concept design of a 40-floor building. There're many same floors. For eg.,3rd to 13th and 15th to 26th, etc...I firstly use "modle setup" to define the 40 floors and 3 basements. Then drew the 1,2,3 floor...When I finished the 3rd floor,I found I could only copy the total objects of the 3rd floor to the 4th,5th...After I finished the copy, I found there's a little problem with the 3rd, so correct it,and What could do next? do the copy again to see the changed building? What about next time?

I have read some topics on net and here, and found no answer.

Could anyone help me about this? Maybe sth ridiculous, but it's realy important to me.

Thanks a lot.

just draw the floors that are the same 1 time on a seperate layer, then make a layerlink to that layer on eacht floor layer, fo you would have:

layers:

floor3-13 (here is the actual drawing of those similar floors)

floor3 (layer link from floor3-13)

floor4 (layer link again)

OR you can use a symbol and set that symbol on each layer

Edited by DWorks
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is an issue about how you want to present your plans. If your, say, 3rd through 13th floors are absolutely identical, then there's no reason to have unique floor plan sheets for these truly identical floors. (Usually, of course, there are minor differences, if only in the column reinforcing, but this may not affect architectural plans.) You need only draw (and present in plan form) the floor once. But you need multiple copies of this data when constructing an elevation, a visualization model, or a building section. Here's what to do:

1. Create a layer, "Mod-Floor-[3 thru 13]". Draw your actual floor plan elements there. Set the deltaZ of this layer to the height to the next floor. Draw your exterior walls to deltaZ height, your interior walls to (fixed) ceiling heigh, and your columns to whatever height is appropriate (e.g. bottom of slab above, or bottom of beams supporting slab above.)

2. Create layers and draw architectural fabric for all your other unique building floor conditions using the same technique.

3. Create a layer called "Model-Building-3D" or somesuch. On this layer, you create a series of "layer links" which are just like blocks, but instead of having a collection of geometry as its definition, it has a layer in your file as its definition. So, use the "create layer link" command to create a layer link for each of your unique floors. Duplicate repeated floors as necessary. Go to a 3D view (say isometric) and use the 3D cursor to "stack" your floor-blocks.

4. Voila -- you have a complete, dynamically-referenced building model that you can use to create building elevations and sections. Any changes you make to the information in your "floor-" layers will automatically be relfected in your model.

• 11 years later...