Importing DWGs with Xrefs

Itchy

Question

I have just received a big bunch of DWGs(30 or so) and was wondering how i go about bringing them in with out making VW crash? at the moment all the files have x refs to one another.

I have tried single import and it doesn't reach past 3%

Also tried batch import and it doesn't reach past 3%

the only way so far that i can bring them in is to rename the file and put it in another folder and single import it, this manages to work but pops up and says cant find the following files and lists that which it is xrefed to.

Should i be batch importing the whole folder? if so how long should it take, i have left it for 20 minutes or so and when i click on VW the program freezes. Is this the sort of thing i am going to have to leave going overnight for me to get it to work?

VW 12.5.2

PC Win XP

2.4 Dual Core

2GB Ram

5 answers to this question

We had this problem also and it was narrowed down to Circular x-refs, and that is why VW would crash.

Katie was gong to work on a solution a while ago for me, but it didn't get anywhere.

I had to go to an older computer running VW 11, that ignored xrefs, import, align manually, then bring into VW12. errrrrr.

Here is the email I had from Katie regarding this.

April 3, 2007 3:23:17 PM PDT

"I think it has to do with the xref's in the DWG files.

There are quite a few circular xref's - the same data is referenced in multiple files, which are also referenced, inside other references.

The reason this works in VW 11 is because xref's are ignored. Any xref not bound to a file is simply ignored using VW 11.

Since VW 12 can identify an xref, it will attempt to reference the data. When using circular xref's however, VectorWorks is sent running in circles continually gathering circular data.

I will have time tomorrow morning to go through the files and provide a few tips for the AutoCAD user to "clean up" the file before sending it to anyone else - including other AutoCAD users. They too get sent in circles, only it's easier to repair in the native AutoCAD program.

I'll then send the tips to you, as well as fixed files, which should send you on your way with working in VectorWorks.

Katie"

Binding the xrefs, as noted earlier, will help with situations where circular references exist.

Otherwise, the other option is to ask the associate not to create circular references, which is typically easier said than done.

If you have files hanging or crashing during import, please send the files (along with your serial number, version of VW, and a description of the problem) to tech@nemetschek.net. Someone in tech support can look into the problem and provide suggestions for importing the file.