Shift key modifier no longer working

Thanks Katie- but that didn't fix it.

Here are the steps I took:

1. I ran Cocktail OSX maintenance utility (which I religiously run once a week) and restarted

2. Reset the PRAM upon restart, log back in

3. Booted from my OSX Tiger DVD and ran Disk Utility to repair my disks and permissions, restarted.

4. Unplugged/replugged all my USB devices (including keyboard & mouse) and restarted again.

None of this fixed my problem with the shift key. I also switched to a different workspace to see if that would fix it, but alas no such luck.

Any additional suggestions?

Thank you, Ray.

I'll try with a different user account and see if it's any better. It's strange that this would pop up all of a sudden, when I haven't changed anything with the OS or VW. Oh well.

Katie - I know you say this is well documented in Apple's Knowledge Base, but I have searched for an hour on their site and could not find anything on this problem. I also read through many of the older posts on this VW forum relating to this problem and noone else seem to have been able to find it on Apple's site either.

If you have a link to this knowledge base article it would be greatly appreciated if you could share it.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by rDesign

Not as simple as a keyboard on it's way out? - No help,, but once a day, my Wacom intuos3 tablet looses it's mind,, yesterday would not stop randome Zooming, today just sits there, doin nothin,,,, worked fine all morning but took the afternoon off,, restarting seemed to temporaryly help. and I have a backup regular trackball mouse.,, Can't wait till the guy come to Hook up my new Dell into the network, ,,, hope that fixes a bunch o craches.

peace

Drawwhat? - when my Wacom plays up (most often for me it's that the touch strip stops zooming) I find that manually starting the 'Wacom tablet properties' app sorts it out. Might be worth a go.

On the original topic I've found that sometimes my keyboard is reverting to US settings from UK in mid session (running 12.5.2 on XP SP2), so some of my defined keyboard shortcuts stop working - keys like ' # \ all move between US & UK keyboard settings. I haven't found any particular trigger yet so can't isolate exactly when it happens. Any clues?

Keith

Keith,

That's what happened,, I touched the strip to Zoom and it went on and on by itself. I tried the tablet properties last time, no change - just said I needed to reinstall the drivers,, not a good outlook if this keeps happening.

didn't know it was US to UK, no clue

luck,

Danny

Keith: As I'm using Mac OSX, I'm not sure if this shift key problem extends to PC users - but thanks for the input. I've checked out the keyboard, it's not the problem.

I was able to fix the shift key problem by creating a new user- I hope it lasts. (FYI - Migrating all your user info over from one account to another on the same volume is not that easy. I'll be cloning this 'clean' user account after I get everything transfered).

I tried reinstalling the OSX Combo Updater, hoping that would fix my corrupted user account - but no such luck.

If this problem is truly OSX operating system in origin - it seems to be affecting mostly VW, as I have not experienced it in other applications.

Let's hope someone at Apple gets around to fixing this problem as it has quite a long history on this forum- but I won't hold my breath.

Alright - I found some info on the Adobe site which I hope (pray) has solved the shift key modifier problem. Here are two links that describe the problem: Adobe: Key Commands Do Not Work In Illustrator and Fix shift key constrain problem in Adobe Illustrator

And a link to Adobe's Tech Note on this issue Adobe: Modifier keys don't work (Illustrator, InDesign, or Photoshop CS-CS2 on Mac OS X v10.3.4-v10.4.1).

A posting on one of those Adobe links describes the problem like this :

Do you have Quicken or any program that does automatic downloading through a secure website? The OS disables the modifier keys to prevent any unauthorized script based attempts to change the System.

For me the culprit was Quicken and its scheduled update 'feature'. Disabling anything that was doing background updates seems to have done the trick - I hope.

Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction.

FYI - I logged back in to my original user account, disabled the scheduled update feature in Quicken, and now my shift key works fine in VW again. So this problem seems to have nothing to do with errors in a corrupted user acccount that could be repaired with Disk Utility.

Edited by rDesign