DOES VECTORWORKS OPERATE IN WINDOWS XP PRO 64 BIT?

Question

18 answers to this question

Hello Katie

When I try to open VW a Window's Applications Error box pops open that states:

"VectorWorks Application had encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

It also asks if I want to send the data to Microsoft's error collection server and/or view the details of the error.

The error signature is below:

AppName: vectorworks.exe AppVer: 12.5.2.5505 ModName: quicktime.qts

ModVer: 7.0.2.120 Offset: 00073595

I originally had VW 12.5.1 and updated it to 12.5.2 and recieved errors in trying to open up both versions.

This is pretty much a clean install. The only programs on my system that I installed myself were VW, QT, Adobe Acrobat and the necessary drivers for all the hardware.

My system consists of:

Windows XP Professional 64 Bit

Intel Quadcore QX6700 CPU

Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard

4GB of DDR2 Coirsair XMS2 Memory

Nvidia Quadro FX5600 Video Card

With that being said, where else should I look for the problem?

Thank

Calvin

Thanks Ray....

...but I just opened QT in XP64 by its self and it worked fine.

I know that XP64 allows 32 bit programs to "operate" within its architecture some kind of way. So perhaps there's some sort of "software misalignment" between QT and VW that's not allowing them to run together in XP64. I just can't figure out why.

Anyone else have a possible remedy?

Hey Ray...

I'm familar with QT and did the reinstall/update but to no avail, same results, can't open VW. I'm looking in my VW subfolder and see the QT resource files, but I don't know what "component(s)" within the QT program uses these files to coincide with the VW program to make it work....The irony however is that I'm able to open QuickTime and iTunes in XP64 with no problems (that I can see) despite the article you sent me.

Well....Once again thanks for your advice!

But you know what....I'd like to know from someone at Nemetschek if VW even operates on a Widows XP64 system DESPITE what's going on with my situation. At least, as users, we'll know the software's compatability limits and issues. To say Vectorworks operates on XP is not enough seeing how there are two verions, 32 bit and 64bit.

Hello George,

I too was able to use 4GB of memory when I used XP pro 32bit but when I stepped up to XP pro 64bit I had to remove 2GB of the 4GB of memory I had installed, but I believe the MAX memory that XP pro 32bit can handle is 4GB. However, XP pro 64bit can handle 16TB (that is TERABYTES with a T). Don't expect to see a computer with that kind of capability anytime soon though....

If anyone wants more info on the XP Pro 64bit operating system, they should checkout the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/facts/top10.mspx

Hope this Helps

Calvin