How to Draw a Corrugated Roof?

I'm trying to draw in 3D clear fiberglass corrugated roof material. You know, the stuff you buy at building supply and home centers and it's used for sheds and other "out" structures. I've used short serpentine polylines and "composed" them together to make a long symmetrical polyline. I extruded that and rendered hidden line. It's a complex object that takes too long to render for my needs. I tried a NURBS curve, but I see I can't extrude that. Any suggestions?

1. You could loft between 2 NURBS curves, separated by the the distance of the extrusion.

2. You could sweep with 1 rail (as the NURBS curve) and a straight line NURBS.

3. What about breaking the polyline into a single cycle, extruding, covert to symbol, and then duplicating a series of symbols?

4. What are you trying to achieve? Maybe it would be sufficient to set up a texture, and map that ono a plane surface?

Edited by DDDesign
1. You could loft between 2 NURBS curves, separated by the the distance of the extrusion.

2. You could sweep with 1 rail (as the NURBS curve) and a straight line NURBS.

3. What about breaking the polyline into a single cycle, extruding, covert to symbol, and then duplicating a series of symbols?

4. What are you trying to achieve? Maybe it would be sufficient to set up a texture, and map that ono a plane surface?

Your #1 idea works well. I also found I can do a Tapered Extrude on a NURBS curve with the angle set to 0.00 and that produces the same results.

I couldn't find a way to do a sweep as you suggest in your #2. I did get Extrude Along Path to work and that method produces great results for what I need.

I think I'm going to stick with the NURBS curves instead of polylines. It's giving me better results and I'm learning something new about VW (always a good thing!). For an example of what I'm trying to do, take a look at this illustration I did last year using the same roof material. I had trouble rendering it, so I had to do it in parts and then bring them together in one Illustrator file.

http://draw.biz/spotlight/kiln/kiln.html

Thanks for your help David.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer
  • 14 years later...

One of our community group members asked me about making this so I revisited my drawing for 2007. How the serpentine polyline is created does make a difference how the shape extrudes. The shape I had in my 2007 drawing did not work. When I extruded that it created a closed on the bottom object. That was obviously something either I did not care about back then, or I could not resolve back then. Double click to enter history mode and you will find polyine shape. There are other ways to do this. The file is attached.

Corregated.vwx

Edited by Bruce Kieffer
  • 8 months later...

@Bruce Kieffer, thank you very much for posting the .vwx file for that. It's exactly what I needed, I was able to resize it in one direction by dragging & then just duplicate it along the other axis to get the full dimension of the piece I needed. Then applied a water texture to it which was sufficient to give it a good-enough approximation of the translucency of the sheeting.

Regards & thanks