Which training material is best?

I am preparing to purchase VW Designer & Renderworks and would like to know how best to invest in training materials. Can anyone recommend one set of materials over another? Are the VectorWorks Designer Learning Series Bundle and Renderworks training CDs any good? Would I be better off with the VW Training books? Is the Step by Step with VectorWorks Architect manual useful? Should I skip it all and just get the Jonathan Pickup tutorial book(s)?

I'm a sole proprietor (architect) who currently works on residential projects but is planning to also work on commercial projects. I have been working with autocad for 10+ years so I'd really like something that can make the transition easier. I'm looking for something that will help me understand how best to organize files/layers/classes for an architectural project. I currently have a great ACAD template set and plan to do the same with VW. I will eventually need to have multiple people working on a project so I'd like to set up my template files now with that in mind.

I'm planning to switch to VW for several reasons:

1. I want to start working in 3d for ALL projects - VW looks like it makes that easier than the other options.

2. I'd LOVE to get rid of my PC and work only on my Mac.

3. The price of purchase and upgrade (not to mention associated hardware costs) is very attractive to me as a sole proprietor.

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can provide.

Welcome aboard !

You will find the training materials you mention both efficient and enjoyable.

Positive support from the User community is yours for the asking.

Your reasons for switching are fundamentally sound. Although the learning curve is

a bit steep at the beginning. But once you master the conventions & protocols

it's pretty easy sailing. Now is just a really great time to be an Architect.

Lookin forward to working with you on a few projects ; ~ )

We've had good experience, when hiring drafters w/Acad experience, to run them through ArchonCad's books. Jonathan has been/is a practicioner of architecture. While we don't utilize all of his protocols, there're well thought-out. And his approach to learning the vernacular (you're no longer drawing in lines and arcs, but rather shapes and objects) seems to make sense to the ACAD crowd. I personally have only ever used VW, so I don't speak well to the cross-over learning curve.

Welcome aboard and good luck,

I worked with the VW CDs and the Step By Step Manual. I still had questions on basic processes. I then bought Jonathan Pickup's Architect Manual. I found Pickup's manual to be more practical and instructive. The CDs that come with the manual are like having a personal tutor. I highly recommend Pickup's Architect Manual.

Training comes in all shapes and sizes, and sometimes the key to learning is to understand how you learn things. After teaching VW for two years to students and professionals alike, I see the same types of challenges again and again:

Some people want to know "how" to do something, but could care less about "why."

Some people get frustrated and impatient when learning the basics, which in turn makes them frustrated and discouraged when attempting the challenging parts.

Some people who tell you they want to learn something really just haven't accepted the fact that they want to pay someone to do the thing they are learning.