Very Annoying Bug, arrowheads on arcs

Original question by AC, postded 3/13/00

When arcs with arrowheads are included in a group, editting the group and flipping any other object in the group will cause the arrowheads to change ends on the arcs (when the drawing is refreshed). This seems to occur even if the arcs are grouped and nested a number of groups below the object being flipped. Same problem with all VectorWorks versions.

Anyone else with this problem? Any solutions?

David T's reply, posted 3/15/00

When the command mirror is performed on a arc the results resemble the arrowhead flipping. The arrow head does not actually flip, the arc and the arrow head are considered to be one object and they are both moved durring the mirror command. This can be remidied if you mirror the arc and the arrow head only along the center line of the arc.

Follow-up by AC, posted 3/15/00

I think you misunderstand the problem. I am not flipping the arc. I am flipping another object in the same group as the arc. I am not touching the arc. Scenario: I am drawing a detail consisting of an object 'A', some text, and an arc with an arrowhead pointing to the object. I group these items. I enter the group to edit it (using Edit Group menu command or command-[). I flip the OBJECT ONLY, leaving the arc alone). I then exit the group. When I refresh the drawing (by zooming, etc.), I find that the arrowhead has switched ends on the arc, even though I did not touch the arc. Again, take this group, draw an object "B", select the group and object 'B' and group them. Enter THIS group, flip OBJECT 'B' ONLY, and exit the group. The arrow head on the arc will flip when the drawing is refreshed, even though the group containing the arc was not touched.

I hope this clarifies the problem.

Is a further reply contemplated?

• 2 months later...

Has this been resolved? The arrow heads flip unexpectedly (and when not selected) in other instances as well. An entire layer of arrows can switch ends of their arcs if you custom select something (not arcs even, not on the same layer even) that shares the line weight (I think - that is all I can figure the things have in common) of the arcs and modify that selection.

The arcs 'flip' at inconvenient times and the way that happens is difficult to discern. Any progress?

A way to live with this is: after you've done a flip or bunch of flips, and before exiting the group you are in, zoom in-and-out to refresh the image. If you have flipped arrowheads occuring somewhere, draw any object, flip it, and delete it. This will flip all the arrowheads back. (What a pain!)