Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Max values VS

Are you working on a script that is on a script palette? I think there is a maximum number of lines of code on scripts on a script palette (Somewhere around a thousand lines of code). If this is the problem, paste your script into the VectorScript PlugIn Editor as a new menu command or tool, and work on it there. I do not beleive there is a limit in the plug-In editor.

But if your code is gettig that long, you might want to consider wezelboy's suggestion and use an Include file anyway.

Edited by PeterT

You could win the obfuscation prize and strip out all of your newlines. In theory, it should still work ;-)

One thing that I have noticed is that if you copy and paste between a third party editor (TextEdit in my case) and the editing pane, editing can get hosed where you often cannot insert a new line.

???The Script Editor is limited to 32K characters, not lines. The Plug-in Editor does not have that limit. Using $Includes in the Script Editor will not get around the 32K limit, since all the included files are copied into memory before your code is compiled and run. If it exceeds 32K, it will kick an error.

???Large scripts can be developed easily using the PlugIn Editor. If you place an $Include statement as the first an only line in the PlugIn Script section pointing to a text file that contains your code, you can make changes to the text file, save it and run the script again without opening the PlugIn Editor. You will also need to enable the "Don't Cache Plug-in Scripts" VW Preference (407) to force VW to recompile the script each time it is run. Use the menu Tools>Scripts>VS Compiler Mode to toggle this setting.

???It is also possible to use many $Include statements and nest them several layers deep. My Reshaper 12 program is 625K and uses 46 $Includes, 3 levels deep. I've not yet had problems working this way.

Good luck,

Raymond