Black rectangles where words should be

Hi there, I'm new to Vectorworks and new to this forum. I'm learning the very basics of the program and going through the tutorial. When drawing lines the tutorial shows words appearing like "Angle/Length" or "Horizontal" or "point" or "Datum". However, all that shows on my screen are black rectangles where the words should be. Can this be fixed? What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

Melissa

You can try to fix this by going to the VectorWorks Preference menu and selecting the Display tab, in here you will see the option for No Fill Behind Text uncheck this box and you will see just the text no background color.

quote:

Originally posted by Melissa:

Hi there, I'm new to Vectorworks and new to this forum. I'm learning the very basics of the program and going through the tutorial. When drawing lines the tutorial shows words appearing like "Angle/Length" or "Horizontal" or "point" or "Datum". However, all that shows on my screen are black rectangles where the words should be. Can this be fixed? What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

Melissa

I had the same problem when I first started using VecorWorks. The technician I contacted at Diehl sent me on a wild goose chase by telling me I needed to download a videodriver from Apple to correct the problem. Needless to say that didn't work. Finally I hired a technician who discovered by checking Opaque SmartCursor under Edit in VectorWorks Preferences the black cues turned a transparent yellow. This appears to be a programming error as opaque by definition means non-transparent.

Thanks Alora, that did the trick. I can live with the yellow squares. You're right, the terminology seems contradictory.

Melissa

quote:

Originally posted by Alora:

I had the same problem when I first started using VecorWorks. The technician I contacted at Diehl sent me on a wild goose chase by telling me I needed to download a videodriver from Apple to correct the problem. Needless to say that didn't work. Finally I hired a technician who discovered by checking Opaque SmartCursor under Edit in VectorWorks Preferences the black cues turned a transparent yellow. This appears to be a programming error as opaque by definition means non-transparent.