Hybrid Groups

wezelboy

Question

In our office we were thinking it would be handy to have hybrid groups similar to hybrid symbols.

Any time I want hybrid functionality I have to create a symbol, which for some things seems to be a waste.

Although it is possible to get this functionality from creative class use, in practice it is a huge PITA.

10 answers to this question

The advantage of symbols is, if the element is repeated in the design, you only have to change it one time.

With a group, you'd either have to copy and paste several times, or redraw the repeated elements.

Also, with hybrid groups, you aren't turning one portion of the "object" off and on depending on the view. Both objects are drawn, which if the drawing is complex, could increase both redraw and render times.

Don't get me wrong, I love symbols. It took me a LONG time to give into PIO doors and windows. I still use them as much as I possibly can.

The thing is, I want a hybrid group that does draw like a hybrid symbol- turning parts off or on depending on the view.

All a group is, is a glorified mass selection of objects working in unison.

You could control what's visible using classes, but you would have to include another level of class structure for 2D and 3D parts that you don't have to with hybrid symbols.

A hybrid group would have seperate 2D and 3D representations that can be edited like a hybrid symbol, but with one notable exception- if indicated in preferences, the rest of the drawing is visible while editing- like a group.

The hybrid group would be its own instance and changing it would only effect itself.

In drawing, the hybrid group would display its 2D representation if the view is in plan and display its 3D representation if the view is not plan- just like a hybrid symbol.

A hybrid group would have seperate 2D and 3D representations that can be edited like a hybrid symbol, but with one notable exception- if indicated in preferences, the rest of the drawing is visible while editing- like a group.

The hybrid group would be its own instance and changing it would only effect itself.

In drawing, the hybrid group would display its 2D representation if the view is in plan and display its 3D representation if the view is not plan- just like a hybrid symbol.

Well, would it not be better if they add functionality to symbols?

The way I see it is that you want hybrid objects that you can change while other things are shown and that you can rescale in both x and y.

So maybe its better to add this functionality to symbols. Although I think it is not a good idea to rescale a hybrid object. because everyting will rescale, so a wooden board of 2cm will become 2.6cm for example. You will have no controll anymore and the objects will be not correct anymore.

On the other hand, don't add this to symbols. If they would be resizeble like just dragging, they also would change in a group. And it's just a good thing that they don't.

If you want hybrid in a group: use symbols in a group. That way it will be hybrid, the symbols self would not change size. Only the composition will change if you resize. For example: If you have a desk (not a symbol) and a chair (symbol). You can change the size of the group, thus also changing the desk but not changing the chair. so it's quiet handy to have this.

Just thing about it.

If you want hybrid in a group: use symbols in a group. That way it will be hybrid, the symbols self would not change size. Only the composition will change if you resize. For example: If you have a desk (not a symbol) and a chair (symbol). You can change the size of the group, thus also changing the desk but not changing the chair. so it's quiet handy to have this.

Just thing about it.

I already do this where it makes sense, but I still would like to see hybrid groups as I have described. Adding group editing functionality to symbols might be nice, but I also think it would be overly confusing to users.