How to show Rough Openings in walls?

I'm trying to create elevations of a building to send to a Structural Insulated Panel company. I want the door and window rough openings to show, but not the doors and windows.

I've tried turning off the appropriate classes in design layers, viewports, and section viewports, but it just eliminated the doors and windows and left a blank wall.

Creating 2D sections through the wall shows the window lines but none of them correspond to the RO.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thanks Islandmon

I find that changing a window to a cased opening and turning off the sill and trim and setting the jamb thickness to 0" gives me a rectangle whose dimensions are the overall width and height of the window unit rather than the RO.

However, changing the window dimensions to account for the RO does not take much more effort.

Applying the changes to the other windows with the eyedropper tool speeds things up from there. Reversing the process later will be easy.

Perhaps DWorks class method would work as well, but I've been unable to make the suggested modifications. It seems that you lose the PIO ability which I feel is quite valuable.

Thanks Islandmon

I find that changing a window to a cased opening and turning off the sill and trim and setting the jamb thickness to 0" gives me a rectangle whose dimensions are the overall width and height of the window unit rather than the RO.

However, changing the window dimensions to account for the RO does not take much more effort.

Applying the changes to the other windows with the eyedropper tool speeds things up from there. Reversing the process later will be easy.

Perhaps DWorks class method would work as well, but I've been unable to make the suggested modifications. It seems that you lose the PIO ability which I feel is quite valuable.

You can change the class of eacht part in the window pio.

you do not need to explode it.

if you are only sending the RO to the manufacturer once

use Save a copy as

and work on that file so you do not have to back track

Ahhh... very clever. Thanks.

DWorks,

I tried doing that and I see where things can be set to various classes in the settings window, but I cannot see a way to assign a class to the loci individually.

Even assigning all the other parts to a different class would still leave the loci in the same class as the whole symbol which defeats the trick.

I like your idea. Am I missing something obvious? How do you do it?

DWorks,

I tried doing that and I see where things can be set to various classes in the settings window, but I cannot see a way to assign a class to the loci individually.

Even assigning all the other parts to a different class would still leave the loci in the same class as the whole symbol which defeats the trick.

I like your idea. Am I missing something obvious? How do you do it?

Well, you just assign all the parts to classes. Even the glazing.

Then put your window in a different class.

make the classes where your parts are in invisible. and the class of your window as a whole visible. then you'll get just a wall with an opening. (the loci seem to be in the same class as the window).

DWorks,

I'm afraid I still cannot get your method to show me the Rough Opening.

I've attached an image where I've created a window in a wall, 'A' which has all the parts including glazing in a class other than the window. (Note: Sill is unchecked in the PIO)

'B' is the same window with the parts classes turned off. Looks good but dimensioning reveals that the opening is really the overall size of the window unit, not the Rough Opening. Are you getting different results?

'C' shows what happens when all the parts classes are turned off but the Sills checkbox is checked.

This is related to the Window PIO problem in my previous post

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=9&Number=83138&Searchpage=1&Main=18295&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post83138

It would be nice if VW had rough opening as one of the choices in the list to assign a class to. Then it would be as easy as that.

Yes, the actual RO is somewhere between the two sets of lines on 'C'.

The outer set of lines on 'C' are unrelated to anything that I can figure. They are something that appears in all situations when the 'Timber Sill' option is checked in the parts tab. It's some sort of bug.

Nevertheless, there seems to be no way to get it to display the RO short of perhaps exploding the PIO and readjusting the loci, but it shouldn't have to be that way. If it can calculate the RO, it should be able to show it.

Yes, the actual RO is somewhere between the two sets of lines on 'C'.

The outer set of lines on 'C' are unrelated to anything that I can figure. They are something that appears in all situations when the 'Timber Sill' option is checked in the parts tab. It's some sort of bug.

Nevertheless, there seems to be no way to get it to display the RO short of perhaps exploding the PIO and readjusting the loci, but it shouldn't have to be that way. If it can calculate the RO, it should be able to show it.

I do not thing it is a bug, I think it's supposed to be that way in the code.

But it's not absoluty correct as you state. Maybe this will be resolved in a later release of VW.

Still, you can make your own pio for just openings (4 loci) and then replace your windows/doors with it if you want it to be correct. You can even make a script doing that. It all depends on how exact it has to be and how many work it is.