VW doesn't start anymore

DWorks,

There's quite a bit of information here.

When you first launched VW, you received a message about file association. You should have selected YES and Don't show me this dialog again.

It sounds like you clicked on NO and Don't show me this dialog again.

If you still get the dialog when launching, choose YES and don't show again.

If not, right click on a file and force the file association.

(I think I interpret you as doing this - let's give it a go one more time)

Make sure you've also set VW to run with the administrator account & you are logged in as the admin.

Katie

We have had this issue on 2 machines now. Both PCs, both with 2 gigs of memory and lots of free hard drive space. On the first machine, I ended up reformatting the drive and reinstalling everything as nothing I did seemed to work. Our second machine went down moments ago.

I tried replacing the workspace as suggested with the backed up versions, presto. things work again. I will let you know if things go down again.

Hi

I'm new to VW and this forum. I have read here and in other places about corrupt workspaces causing issues with VW, although the reason is not an obvious one when things go seriously wrong. OK, so we can correct the problem by replacing corrupt workspaces from our back-up folders (we all have one of those, right?)

But the more fundamental question surely is: Is anyone anywhere working on the reason WHY workspaces get or become corrupted? Other files (at least on my machine) don't get corrupted. Why then can things like preferences and workspaces (which are only "files" after all) get so screwed up?

And a bit of help please - where do I write my signature, so it comes up automatically at the end of each post so everyone can see what gear I'm running here without me having to re-type it all the time?

Thanks heaps

This is an excellent forum

Murray

Dell Inspiron 9300 Laptop; Dell 24"widescreen display; 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Nvidia Go6800 w 256MB; Windows XP Pro, SP2; everything kept up-todate!

Yes, we are working on discovering why the workspace corruption occurs. When this issue occurs, only the workspace becomes corrupt - no VectorWorks files are affected.

Yes, you have a backup folder created by VW. If you customize your workspaces, you may want to keep a duplicate copy somewhere else on your computer.