Dimension text drag is a drag

P Retondo

Question

When I move dimension text by dragging it, the rectanglular box indicating where the text will sit is almost always nowhere near where the text ends up after releasing the mouse button. I don't think things have to be this way. Why can't we drag text to the spot we need it to be? This is a critical capability when trying to make drawings intelligible and clear. See attached image for an example:

Dimension%20text%20drag.jpg

Speaking of making this work better, it would be nice if we could also drag text in the orthogonal offset dimension (as well as being able to set the offset precisely in the OIP). It would make the workflow faster and easier. With the shift modifier key we could constrain movement to x or y.

Also, when dragging the text the dimension lines themselves should stay put. I always have to do this is two steps: move the text, then reposition the dimension lines back to where they were. These things add up.

4 answers to this question

How did you get version 12.5.3?

Sorry, typo.

How difficult it is to move text depends on the dimension standard. Some, for some reason, are more tame than others.

Thanks for the tip on using to constrain. But, frankly, with the current implementation this should not be necessary. To move the dimension lines, one clicks on the lines to get the resize cursor. To move the text, one clicks on the text. These are handled differently, and unless we are able to move the text relative to the dimension lines in both directions, movement should be automatically constrained without using the shift key.