Snap to Grid

I have been using VW (11.5.1) for about a year, and have always had a problem with objects not snapping to grid correctly. I use 1/2" grid, with 1/8" resolution, fractions only, no decimal. Objects often wind up slightly off-grid (several pixels), sometimes when generated, sometimes when duplicated, and maybe even when moved. No combination of the Snap-To choices seems to prevent the problem. The off-grid objects usually snap to grid if I invoke the Snap-To-Grid command, but sometimes they don't. Then I have to re-enter the size (exactly as it already exists) in the Object Info box, followed by invoking Snap-To-Grid. One thing I discovered is that grid snapping seems to work much better if I blow up the drawing until the 1/2" grid actually shows.

I waste a lot of time getting everything snapped to grid correctly, and would appreciate any comments about how to avoid the problem in the first place.

Have you tried turning off everything in the Constraints palette except "Snap to Grid"? I think that gets the result you want, provided that the whole file is drawn that way.

This may not apply to you, but one way that those small errors can occur is if you accept values that you see in the Data Display Bar, without "Snap to Grid" only. The numbers that appear there are rounded to whatever you specified in the "Units" dialog box. The precise values at the cursor may be different. If you mouse to a point and then Tab or Keypad Enter through the data bar to lock in a value, I think you're actually locking in the current cursor position, not the rounded-off number shown in the bar. To get a precise value in the data bar, I think you have to type it in.

I believe there is a bug in the version 11.5.2 snap to grid. If I recall, I could never get anything to land on the grid. Version 12.5.2 is much better, but still not perfect. If one holds down the shift key to constrain object movement, that seems to disable the snap to grid. I use snap to points and objects for the most part now. It's more consistent.