Layer navigation

P Retondo

Question

I'd like to see an option to have the layer drop-down list show visible layers only. We can see all the available layers in the navigation palette now, and this option would give the drop down list a reason to exist. With long lists of layers it would be a real time saver to see only the currently relevant layers. We could set this up with a modifier key (ctrl, maybe) to toggle the option.

As it is now, for a typical project the list is so long it requires scrolling to see the layers towards the bottom of the list. The scrolling is particularly slow. Having the sheet layers take up precious space at the top of this list is particularly annoying.

And while we're at it, why not make that list more compact so that we can see more layers on the screen? I could easily see ten more items with less space between the lines. Also, it would be great if we could scroll the list with the mouse.

9 answers to this question

ooOOHHH! I like this idea.

I have a file I work with at trade shows that has about 100 sheet and design layers in it. I can see that saving me a good bit of time.

I think I would like the sort option of the Navigation palette to be available in the layers / classes drop down boxes instead of just showing only visible layers.

What do you think?

Just a note:

You can sort the classes / layers by visibility by clicking on the VISIBILITY tab. All the visible classes / layers are grouped together, etc.

Hi Katie, glad you like the idea - how about let's do all of the above, with a new option to display only visible or display all! Or, alternatively, maybe the sort could put all the visible layers (or classes) at the top, where we can get at them easily. The one little glitch with sort by visibility is that the grayed layers go to the bottom of the list, not what we are looking for here.

Then, maybe, the key command to go to the next layer up could take us to the next visible layer up (i.e., the next layer up on the sorted list)?

Tagging on to this engaging subject:

How about using the keyboard shortcuts for moving up and down layers only for active layers? Currently, moving up or down layers will activate all undisplayed layers, require you to go through each and every one, and go sequentially (based on layer order) rather than by the visibility settings in the Nav. palette.

My 2 cents...

Nested Layers (or nested viewing of Layers) has been requested in another thread or two on this forum; it's clearly a popular request but doesn't appear to have been implemented in VW 13 as far as I can tell.

To add: not only would it be useful for grouping similar types of Layers together but it would also be very useful for getting the less important Layers out of immediate view, such a floor model layers, which currently serve nicely to clutter up viewing.