transparency of windows and doors

When i am rendering in sheet layers (right now using fast renderworks with shadows), some of my doors show up being transparent (meaning you can see everything behind them) and others show up rendering fairly opaque. i have checked the settings and the view is the same (no styles selected) and the leaf is the same (glass). I am having the same problem with some windows as well (and their settings are the same), and i don't want to be able to see through. As well, all the render settings in the OIP are the same, but for some reason they are showing up different.

I feel like i am missing something really obvious...does anyone have any thoughts on what that might be?

okay, thanks so much, Dave. I tried some of the other settings and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference (although there is more consistency). I think i will be ulitmately using final quality radiosity, and it is not quite as striking there as in the other renderings, but you can still see through on a number of occasions. i guess i might be able to change the glass opacity to opaque and set up a texture that is more to my liking. any other thoughts?

thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes, overlapping glass objects. There is a raytracing recursion setting that limits how many overlapping glass or transparent surfaces will be handled. For Final Quality RW mode that handles about 2 or 3 glass surfaces. Any more and you should use Custom RW with a ray tracing recursion of twice the number of overlapping transparent surfaces. Note that a glass extrude would have two surfaces, one entering and the other exiting. Image props with masks count too, so if you have any tree props on front of other objects then you may have to use a higher ray tracing recursion value so that the backmost ones don't show opaque.

HTH!

Windows, and the different types of doors handle glazing differently in VW. One of my wishes is to have all these things standardized! Some objects have a pair of planes for glazing, some have a single plane. Some objects set the glazing opacity via class, some via a dropdown list. To get things to be consistent, if you see a dropdown list choose "by class." Set the class name by hand - you have to enter it exactly (pretend you are a programmer). Then you can use class attributes to control how glazing looks. You still won't be able to solve the problem of some glazing being a double layer. Play with it and you can get acceptable, but by no means perfect results.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Pete:

The double-surface ones are correct. RenderWorks needs to have an entering surface then an exiting surface for the refraction to be correct. If there is only one surface (like a free-floating polygon) then the ray will behave as if it had entered a glass volume but never exited it. The VW plug-in windows and doors should all be following this convention as of 12.5 (I think).

WinDoor doors have a single 3d poly representing glass. VW window PIOs have two 3d polys. VW doors with leaf type "glass" have four 3d polys, two of which are superimposed. VW doors with leaf type "panel" where the interior and exterior panels are assigned to a glazing class have two extrusions (verified by exploding objects and checking the assigned classes).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 13 years later...

Hi

When rendering in all types, GL, Custom, Final Quality etc I'm having a problem as doors keep rendering all transparent, no frames looking solid. Door-main Class is set for solid at top of page a and glass as a texture, at bottom of page. On settings door dialog box is set with internal panel glazing, though door persists to look all glazed. I set as class texture, on door dialog box but this doesn't help. Any ideas? Also when rendering with final quality renderworks the hardscape pattern dissapears and leaves a blanck white surface. It's a large file, is this my problem?

Hello,

Many thanks for your replies, I was using the settings to set the door parts, in the end I did get door frames though no glass reflections so it looks like they are just empty. I have been working on a 3D view of a garden and a walk through animation, so trying to get it to look as realistic as possible.  The file was quite large, despite having the house on a separate layer. I'm wondering if my laptop is the problem it's a Lenovo G510 core i7,a few years old, or should I reload the VWorks program? I presently have VWorks 17, so  it's not that old or outdated.

As well as not getting any reflections on the glass, I found I would loose the stone pattern of the terrace and the water image when trying to render in Final Quality renderworks, it renderred paving as a flat light blue surface, so had to give up trying with Final Quality renderworks and just use open GLto render, not ideal, (this also happened on a smaller 3D view drawing). The roof command didn't work either, even on a separate layer, so I drew it on another drawing and tried to copy and paste it in. As well as the rendering issues the file was crashing continually. Consequently the amount of time taken to produce the 3D drawing & animation can't be charged for.

If I need to invest in a machine with a more powerful graphics card, to try to help these problems, what spec should ideally go for, which will work for large files of 3D work and animation? Would something with vram 4 gig or 8 gig vram be best? Any help would be great.

Many Thanks,

Diana