patrickleyden

First Time AutoCAD import

Question

I'm a first time VW 12.5.2 user importing an autocad file from a vendor for the first time (a day of firsts).

I imported an AutoCAD file that should have lots of pieces of our company's trade show booth. I noticed two things:

1) - The pieces don't seem to be objects or grouped in any way. If I click on a piece to move it, I move a line. I can usually group the lines but I'm not quite sure how/if I can make this group into something for a component library I'm putting together.

2) - When I go into a 3D view light right iso and render, many of the 2D drawings don't seem to be 3D. I'm wondering if there is a way for me to check if thats something that got lost/messed up in the import process or if the file simply didn't come that way from the vendor.

Any pointers people can provide would be great.

-Patrick

2 answers to this question

It sounds like the drawing was drawn using a network of lines rather than surface-based objects and lacks 3D definition.

If you want to send the DXF / DWG file over, I can take a look at the file in AutoCAD & identify the issue.