Associative Dimensions and Framing

I'd like to the ability to dimension to 'face of stud' but also show all my wall components if desired for a particular drawing. Can associative dimensions be used in this application?

Typically it is common practice in my region to dimension to face of framing unless the work involves renovation or other special conditions. This provides a clear and logical reference point during construction since no on-site mathwork is needed to work back from finishes in determining wall locations. Face of framing dimensions are consistent with the sequence of construction (framing first... finishes last). I certainly can replace wall styles etc. to get the assembly I need, but is there a way to use associative dimensions for face of framing without needing to change wall styles after I dimension? It seems as though only exterior/interior corners, wall centerline, etc. are valid points for associative dimensions.

For instance, if I use a wall style like the default 'Ext-2x6 Siding' and wish to create a wall that is 10'-0" long (framing), it is difficult to get a true 'framed wall' length without going through the wall-style switch. Indeed it is important to document the actual 'finish' dimension of an assembly, but it is perhaps more important to provide clear dimensional information for the sub-assembly (i.e. wall framing) particularly to trades in the field.

I realize I am probably missing something simple here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Since you dinmension to the rough face of framing than your wall styles should not include any line representing finishes such as sheetrock or siding (brick veneer is the exception). Your exterior sheathing would have a finish texture applied to the outside surface that would also serve as the dimension face as well as the inside of the framing would have the sheetrock surface texture applied. This is typical and a correct way to represent to the field the proper face framing dimensions as well as appropriatly generating rendered models for presentation with the correct finishes.

One other method is to continue using the finish lines for siding and sheetrock but specify the hide wall components when layer scale is <...in the document setup dialog to set dimensions.

Pete A

Bauhas

I've never understood the practice of dimensioning to face of frame. If you think your helping the contractor by eliminating onsite math. I guess that means you plans are dimensionally perfect. Therefore, when the foundation is out of square the framer is not faced with doing some math? And what about the complex geometry involved in the cutting the roof frame. I'm not trying to come down on you. Really trying to be logical. I've been designing houses and preparing con docs for 20 years and that is one convention I feel serves no purpose. I am always willing to learn if there is something that could make my job and those who work with my plans easier. My view is that convention probably was originally done to save the draftsman time and work of adding the strings of dimensions. Well before handheld calculators. I've always dimensioned the interior from face of drywall to face of drywall. And exterior face of sheathing to face of sheathing. Of course there are exceptions. That way exterior dimensions should jive with outside foundation dimensions since ext. sheathing is in the same plane. Of course there are exceptions. Maybe I'm wrong but I've only one contractor complain about my method in twenty years

Regional construction practices do play into this so without being famiilar with your jurisdiction's practices. I will speak to the convention of modern production platform stick framing

Edited by kellhammer

I've been in the trades for 30 years and always used the centerline of interior walls and FOS for end (exterior) of wall. The finishes can be whatever they want, but the tub (and other things) must fit to the framing. Framers can check their dims against mine or not, but deal with the consequences later if they are wrong. It's always nice to have someone check your work...

In drawing plans, I've used the wall styles with drywall, etc. but only for presentation in plan view, then switch them to 2d/no finishes style for con docs. I have found you can spec wall finishes for 3d without having an 'element' present, so I think I'll just use the 2d style from the beginning from now on

Nice to have choices...

Thanks for the responses and tips, there are indeed many conventions and standards of practice one can use in dimensioning walls for construction documents.

The primary intent of my question is in regards to exterior walls since the layout of these usually coincides with the foundation footprint, sheathing modules, etc. For instance, if my exterior wall has finishes, siding, insulation board, or other materials that project past the face of the foundation, how does one apply associative dimensions to assure that the face framing = face of foundation? I can dimension to the face of framing, but if the length of the wall needs to be changed for whatever reason, I need to update those dimensions manually (is it correct that dimensions are not associative except to outside/inside finish faces and centerlines of walls?).

I guess it would be very helpful in some instances such as mine to have the added feature of associative dimensions to each of the control points of wall framing - exterior and interior face of framing as well as centerline of wall. This would give greater flexibility for dimensioning (particularly exterior walls) those conditions where the finish material may be 'variable' such as stone veneer wall system or a wall where a mixture of siding types may be applied to the same wall sub-assembly (different siding thicknesses, profiles, etc). It is in these types of assemblies where the face of framing dimensions can be a useful reference point.

Thanks again for the replies!

In a effort to learn VW, tell me.... An "associative dimension" is a dimension that will adjust to the particular item that is being dimensioned. So if one were to dimension a framed wall and then later changed that wall to a 8"cmu wall the dimension would automatically be updated.

I understand what your asking. You what to show a particular wall, but only dimension to the face of frame(face of stud) not the entire buildup. Which maybe drywall,stud,sheathing,siding composite wall.

Edited by kellhammer