vector Works 11 vs. 12?

aarons

Can you tell me what you feel are some of the stand out impovements to version 12 over 11? I can either step up to the plate now and buy v12 or I can keep using V11 and get version 13 when it comes out, if its going to be a substancial leap over V12.At least thats were my head is at right now, seeing that everyone is on the huspe of converting to 64bit technology.

I find that using the light tool in V11 is a big pain in the neck. As well, I am hoping the rendering speed and quality of the rendering has improved a lot. What are your thoughts on this Dworks

If only we knew when VW13 comes out.

I find that in 12, the renderings are better of quality and so do the shadows, they look just better. It also renders faster. But all of this also depends on your computer of course. (I had the same pc for 11 and 12).

I do not use a lot of lighting, only suns because i mostly draw buildings.

What i find the most improvement is the 3D tools. you'll have more snap points and it reacts more intiutive.

Note: RenderWorks is not a professional rendering package. It is really good, but if you want very very professional renderings, you better go with another package specially made for renderings.

Note: RenderWorks is not a professional rendering package. It is really good, but if you want very very professional renderings, you better go with another package specially made for renderings.

eh? Please define professional rendering package DWorks. 12.5 has area lights, HDRI lighting, Radiosity, ray tracing, camera path animation etc etc. What is missing from it to not make it professional level? On this basis you are saying that something like FormZ is not professional level rendering.

Sure Renderworks is by no means the fastest renderer, or the most interactive, or indeed giving the best results but it is built in and a reasonable price.

I'm just curious. What is missing from the RW package?

Renderworks is like any rendering system. Used correctly you get good results. Used shoddily you get mediocre results. Consider this. A few years back Ashlar-Vellum Cobalt user won an international rendering competition against users of Maya, 3D Studio, Cinema etc etc. Ashlar used LightWorks, so does FormZ and VectorWorks. The implementation of LightWorks in VectorWorks is better than Ashlars and nearly as good as FormZ.

Now if you want realtime previews then there are better options - Cinema4d works well with VW for example. Or something like Hypershot gives genuine realtime HDRI scenes for external building views.

So in answer yes, RenderWorks can produce the goods. I think it is as easy to use as most rendering systems and has the benefit of being part of VectorWorks - and if you are making frequent changes this cannot be underestimated.

If you want the ultimate realistic rendering engine then Maxwell will be better - set up is quick but render times are very very high.

Best check out this site:

www.bunkspeed.com/hypershot

Then try it out. Thats what I mean by realtime. Lightworks has a realtime preview system as well but it is not quite as good as this. Basically realtime previews mean you get a pretty good idea of what the final render will look like. They usually require a good graphics card though.

I don't think you can get a Maxwell plugin for VectorWorks yet (?). But you can import the VW model in other ways. VW does have plug ins for Cinema 4D and Artlantis.

If you're looking for photographic results you can't beat Maxwell Renderer. Unfortunately VectorWorks is one of a few modellers that doesn't have plugin support for Maxwell Renderer (possibly, and unfortunately, because Maxwell is seen as a competitor instead of a value adder).

One of RenderWorks blessings is also it's achilles heel; the fact that it's contained within what is primarily a drafting/modelling environment. This cuts out program switching and exporting/importing issues, but it also means that it's very difficult the program designers to optimise the user interface for rendering.

If you're looking for quality as good or better than Renderworks but much faster and much easier to use then I recommend Artlantis. Without fail I produce easier-to-make, much faster, and better quality renders from Artlantis every time.

Now if you want realtime previews then there are better options - Cinema4d works well with VW for example. Or something like Hypershot gives genuine realtime HDRI scenes for external building views.

If you want the ultimate realistic rendering engine then Maxwell will be better - set up is quick but render times are very very high.

And that's what I mean. Do not get me wrong, I only use RenderWorks and I find it very good.

• 5 weeks later...

eh? Please define professional rendering package DWorks. 12.5 has area lights, HDRI lighting, Radiosity, ray tracing, camera path animation etc etc. What is missing from it to not make it professional level? On this basis you are saying that something like FormZ is not professional level rendering.

Despite the fact that RW offers many of the same capabilites as dedicated rendering packages such as Artlantis, C4D, Maxwell, Rhyno, etc., RW is?and always will be?a kludge to VW.

Can you produce professional quality output with RW? Sure, but that doesn't make it a "professional" rendering package.