Stair Tool Problems

I've got a floor plan with multiple stairs that are the same. I thought that I could create the stair using the tool and just copy (option drag) it to the locations where it is needed. When I've come back to edit the stair it has all sorts of problems. Why is this a problem?

About stairs ..

Take a stair with flights 800 wide.

Add a u-landing to be 1000 deep, so change side 1 and side 3 to 1000. In the middle of this new landing is an indent where the landing width is 800.

Is the workaround for this just to make your own little bit of 3-d landing and stuff it into the indent ?

BTW, if one changes start and end lengths to half the width of the u-landing, the flights become misaligned.

Is there something I can do in the stair-tool ?

ptarmigan

Just updated to 12.5.2 hoping that would help, but it only compounded the problem. After the update placing a stair caused the program to crash twice. Each time I had to re-enter the serial # and related info. This may have been related to memory --I have a lot going today. I ended up throwing in the stairs with the 2d tools to make a deadline.

-Scott

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

OK, the reason you're still having problems is that you need to actually run a script to clear the "corruption" created by the earlier version of the plug-in. Once you do that, the plug-in will work properly for all your new and existing stairs. This script will do it:

{Fix Stair Associations script BEGIN}

PROCEDURE FixStairAssociations;

CONST

kOnDeleteDelete = 4; {Target object is deleted when owner is deleted.}

kOnDeleteReset = 5; {Target object is reset when owner is deleted.}

VAR

stairs :DYNARRAY of HANDLE;

stairCnt :INTEGER;

cnt1, cnt2 :INTEGER;

boo :BOOLEAN;

procedure FindStairObjects(h :HANDLE);

BEGIN

stairCnt := stairCnt + 1;

ALLOCATE stairs [1..stairCnt];

stairs[stairCnt] := h;

END;

procedure FindUpperStairsToDelete(h :HANDLE);

VAR

str :STRING;

BEGIN

str := GetRField(h, 'Stair', 'UUID');

if Copy(str, 1, 1) = 'U' then BEGIN

stairCnt := stairCnt + 1;

ALLOCATE stairs [1..stairCnt];

stairs[stairCnt] := h;

end else BEGIN

SetRField(h, 'Stair', 'HeightByLayer', 'FALSE');

SetRField(h, 'Stair', 'UUID', '');

SetName(h, '');

END;

END;

BEGIN

stairCnt := 0;

ForEachObject(FindStairObjects, (R IN ['Stair']));

for cnt1 := 1 to stairCnt do BEGIN

for cnt2 := 1 to stairCnt do BEGIN

boo := RemoveAssociation(stairs[cnt1], kOnDeleteDelete, stairs[cnt2]);

boo := RemoveAssociation(stairs[cnt1], kOnDeleteReset, stairs[cnt2]);

END;

END;

stairCnt := 0;

ForEachObject(FindUpperStairsToDelete, (R IN ['Stair']));

for cnt1 := 1 to stairCnt DO DelObject(stairs[cnt1]);

END;

run(FixStairAssociations);

{Fix Stair Associations script END}

• 1 month later...

I just duplicated a stair, and changed the floor settings. The original stair reduced itself to a zero width, and the copy, at the other floors, had no upper representation. When I tried to delete the original stair, VW crashed.

I tried to run the above script, but just got lots of errors. I copied it into a .txt file, and then used Tools/Scripts/Run VectorScript. Is this not the correct procedure?...

The stair was originally created in 12.5.1; I'm now using 12.5.2.

Thanks, Will

So I tried creating this as a script in the resource browser, and I think it ran. I think it helped, in that it seems, ultimately, I can duplicate stairs to other locations and/or floors and get their representations to be as expected. However...

Their floor associations seem to need to be reset many times before they finally understand which floors they're associated with. Also, it seems running the script in a file that already has stairs 'flattens' all of the stairs (it eems to disassociate them from their floors and send them to the lowest design layer...).

Are scripts file specific, such that this one to fix (or that might fix...) the stair tool needs to be run in all files where a fix is desired?

Thanks, Will

• 1 month later...

Ok,

Sorry to ressurect this topic - but I have just run the script and the stairs still act strangely (ie, copy and move a stair in ground, and it moves in 1st floor as well, but it moves the original not the copy, so you end up with never being able to do a simple 3 storey fire escape stair). I'm using VW 12.5.1.

The script seems to disconnect the stairs from the layer levels - which is fine. But copying the stairs after associating them with layer levels ends with the same result (ie. stairs are moved around on other levels but deletes other stairs made prior etc.)

This issue has obviously been encountered by various users before - and i ask this, How does anyone do 3 fire escapes in a 3 storey building using the stair tool? (In actual fact, this is in preparation for our large building, 6 stories with 4 fire escapes, and I don't want to keep entering the same info 24 times when I change the stairs!)

Thanks guys,

There's great potential here with the stair tool - if it could properly work linked to layer levels then this is one step towards a more parametric vectorworks. (And plus, stairs have always been difficult to get our head around them, and a tool like this is ideal if it works).

Anyway, will just use it in a 2D sense for now.