Striped line challenge

When drawing a DPC in our details we like to indicate them as shown in the image attached. Except that I can't figure out how to draw this kind of thing quickly and easily.

Some here in our office have used patterns, but you then have to have a pattern for each change in direction (i.e. hori, vert, and other), and I try to avoid patterns because of potential problems when printing.

I wondered about, instead of using the Double-Line Polygon tool, using the wall tool with a hatch specified to rotate in wall. But I can't figure out how to make a hatch that gives me this kind of visual effect.

Any suggestions entertained. :)

Draw your DPC path as a single poly line.

Create a little capital "i" shape with a filled rectangle for the up stroke and a couple short , horiz lines centered on top and bottom of rectangle. Group this shape and duplicate it along the path with dupe interval equal to the line lengths. You may have to fiddle with the ends and turns.

Looks about the same, anyway.

-B

I'm with Mike on this one - the repetitive unit tool does this quite simply and easily.

While other methods posted will work, they all require more steps than using the repetitive unit tool.

1)there's a tool for drawing that (although in our version).

Which tool is that DWorks?

2)or you can ... can make a hatch pattern from it and choose to rotate it in a wall. the hatch will be many stripes next to each other (all layers)

So you just create the thickness by building up a number of hatch "levels" (lines) right next to each other?

Try the repetitive unit tool. You will have to create an appropriate symbol to use with it.

Is there any way to avoid the glitches where you have a change in direction (see attached image).

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

For something like this, I'd use the "roadmap" trick using thick lines:

1. Draw a black baseline, very thick (say 80 mils) along the alignment you want;

2. Duplicate the line in place. Set the pen to white and the thickness to say 60 mil.

3. Duplicate the line in place again. Set the pen to a short dash.

4. Group for convenience.

Christian,

You can do what you want with a wall component hatch.

I did my hatch in a 3 1/2" thick wall, but you can do it for any thickness

Create a new hatch with only one level with these settings:

Units: World

Rotate: In Wall

Start Point

L: 0"

A: 0?

Repeat

L: 3 1/2" (I matched the wall thickness, but you can set it higher or lower per your choice)

A: 180?

Dash Factor

Factor: 0.5 (this sets the width of the white gap equal to the black stripe, change per you choice)

Offset

L: .01 (must be very small but not zero)

A: -90?

Pen & Fill:

I used 1 mil Black lines with white Background Fill

After you have saved the hatch, create a new wall style, or like I, if you do not have Architect, just create a new wall, and edit it to have one new component of the wall thickness, and choose your new hatch as the fill style. You can then use the eye dropper and paint bucket to transfer this to any other wall, or with Architect, you could just save it as a wall style available anytime.

One my machine this comes out just like you example, and the stripes rotate perfectly with the wall.

This avoids the pointy stripes on the angled lines of Grants method (or probably rounded stripes with quartz Imaging enabled), and avoids having to copy and paste or offset symbols or groups every time you want to make anew striped wall.

1)there's a tool for drawing that (although in our version).

Which tool is that DWorks?

isolatiefolie.jpg

its like drawing walls. and we can make isolation with it to.

2)or you can ... can make a hatch pattern from it and choose to rotate it in a wall. the hatch will be many stripes next to each other (all layers)

So you just create the thickness by building up a number of hatch "levels" (lines) right next to each other?

thats correct

<>

Chocolate fish seems too small a reward in recognition of someone actually figuring out how to use the create hatch dialog. I don't know how he did that but I have visions of him rooting through the dialogue parameters, wet nose to his screen, fogging it while snorting out loud.

In my opinion his reward should be truffles.

Regards,

Donald