Update from v12 to v12.5.2 fails

Scupper

Question

I had VW 12.5 running beautifully on my system before I reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP SP2, but after installing V12.0 on a clean disk, I am unable to update it. The disks are fine, - I?ve installed a few of my old programs to them and they work.

Here?s what I?ve tried:

First, I wanted to use the V12.5 update that worked the first time round and which I?d saved, so I started that and after copying 87% of files I got a message saying ?To get the latest version of VW you must download and run a new updater from NNA?? Then I got a message saying I should update the dongle driver for V12.5, so I did that. I now have driver 5.19.00 for the Aladdin HASP key in device manager, dated 11.17.06, and also for the Aladdin USB key. The same thing happens though, - it always stops at 87% and tells me to get the new updater.

So I downloaded the latest updater, to V12.5.2, this afternoon but it won?t unzip. I can click on it and I get a Parts folder, a Support folder and a 7MB Update VectorWorks.exe program that looks like a DOS file and is deflated according to its properties. When I click on that I get a message saying ?This application may depend on other compressed files in this folder. For the application to run properly it is recommended that you first extract all files.? Pressing the Extract All button gets the message ?Compressed (zipped) folder error: Error reading file?, and then it stops. If I press the Run button, nothing happens at all.

If I ?Extract All? of the new 264MB download, the Windows Extraction Wizard opens, but if I attempt to extract, to any nearby folder, I get the ?Error reading file? message again, and then it stops. Extracting it to the VW12.0.0 program file, the same thing happens.

At one point I noticed in the properties for the zipped file that it might be blocked by Windows and unblocked it but that hasn?t helped. Could the zipped folder be corrupt? I?ve downloaded it twice but the same thing happens to both folders.

I?ve tried disabling both my Norton Internet Protection firewall and my Windows XP firewall but that makes no difference. I connect to the internet through a router but that hasn?t been a problem before, - are there any unusual ports I need open to let it talk to NNA (I doubt it)? The only thing that?s changed since my previous installation of V12.5 is that the operating system is now on a different disk from VW and everything else, - it?s 20GB, which is plenty for Windows but not much else. My main disk is 300GB and I have 2GB of RAM, with a dual core AMD 3800+.

Luckily, V12.0 appears to be able to handle the files I made on V12.5, so I can keep working on them until I can sort out this update. I?d be very grateful for any suggestions.

Edited by Scupper

1 answer to this question

Okay, - I think I know what's wrong.

I tried updating QuickTime but the installer didn't work, - there seems to be something up with my Windows Installer. I downloaded an update for that but guess what? The installer for it failed. I think I'll just have to reformat again, reinstall Windows XP, update it to SP2 and then install VW and update it before putting any other non-essential software in.