LIVE SECTION questions

I?m a little unclear about the LIVE SECTION tool. I have used the CUT 3D SECTION tool for many years, by LAYER LININKING all layers into a layer called MODEL then cutting 3D sections. The result is helpful, but I always just use the result for a template to create a presentable section.

With the advent of LIVE SECTION my hope (always dashed with VW PIO?s!) was that I might be able to simply make a live section that could be used to present sections in a drawing ? foolish I know, but that is what I thought. I may not be making them correctly, but it seems to me that the live sections are not editable, & if created from a viewport at 1:1 scale, this means I can?t use the LIVE SECTION for a template for a presentation without a lot of extra work. So all I use it for is a CHECK to ensure I have caught changes as they are made to sections (& elevations).

So like I said, could I be doing something wrong?

Jim, I'm not sure what you mean by live section, but if you mean section viewport, those are created on the design layers, which I assume you're drawing to scale. If you want to edit the section plane later, you edit the section line instance on the design layer; then update the section viewport to show the changes.

CD

Yes, we have been calling SECTION VIEWPORTS - LIVE SECTIONS (so we know the difference between a viewport with a section & a Section Viewport).

A Section Viewport is similar to other viewports & is placed on a SHEET LAYER & is not presentable. Convert it to lines - it is not to scale, - regardless, it is not presentable!

Edit the the Section Viewport & one is presented with the original design layer.

The nub of my question is this: is there a way to make SECTION VIEWPORTS presentable?

Jim,

I don't understand what you mean by they aren't drawn to scale or that they look like they were drawn with a crayon.

Section viewports reflect the model as drawn, and each section viewport can have it's own set scale.

Can you please be very specific as to the issues you have with section viewports?

You are also welcome to send a file demonstrating the issues to me and I'll look into it.

Pete thanks for your comment, but even making the line weight smaller, I can?t get a presentable image with the SECTION VIEWPORT. Perhaps my class attributes are not specific enough.

Katie, sorry about the delay in responding to your post.

I have forwarded a sample file that illustrates my concerns (SHEET VIEW A106 MODEL SECTIONS). As I said to Pete, I can?t get a presentable image with the SECTION VIEWPORT; not without working on it in the Annotations Layer.

So, if I have to amend the Section Viewport by redrawing most of what the SECTION VIEWPORT has produced in the Annotation Layer why would I do this?

What I continue to do is to make a model by Layer Linking into a MODEL Layer cut a 3D section, (who decided to hide that tool?). I then convert the resulting 3D section to lines, and now rather than a lot of drawing, I can just alter & delete lines & add the odd bit of information. I still need to add notes, but I am not redrawing anything.

Jim, One of the best things about VW's is that you can do it either way. So if you are more comfortable (and more time efficient/accurate/etc) doing it the "old" way, then by all means...

Also, I totally agree with you that Section VP's are very limited in their present iteration. Many people (on this board) have been very vocal in expressing that point of view. Perhaps NNA has heard us and will make some improvements in a future release? We can ask, and we can hope, and we can wait.

As for me, I actually enjoy the process of drawing (or in my mind 'building') sections, because that is where the meat of things is proven (or not!). Since the introduction of Section VP's I have been using them as a base, and then adding a great deal of detail in the annotations. I have been told that this is the 'recommended' workflow, albeit obviously not the *only* one.

So each of us can (and do) use the method that we find to be the best. Until something better comes along. It's really just that simple;-)

Peter,

You're right, like most things in VW there are often several approaches; one of the great things about the programme. I further agree that building a section is the only way to ensure one's assemblies all come together - or not! For the time being I'm going to continue to use Section Viewports as an easy double check that we have reflected in a section changes that may have been added to the plan. For me, having lines that are in the correct position & can be either amended or turned into polygons is just faster & more accurate than redrawing in the Annotation Layer.

Heck, if this was too easy, anyone could do it.