12.5.1 update lost ability to stack layers

I updated to 12.5.1 a couple days ago, and now I don't have the ability to stack layers... Any ideas how to fix this? I went back into workspace editor and tried to bring it back, and I get an error message saying "stack layers is no longer a part of vectorworks". How can this be?

So part II: In the absence of the ability to stack layers I tried my hand at creating a layer link so I could measure and move trusses in front view. Of course now I have locked layers and can't edit anything but lighting in front view. Well, anyone know how to "un-link" the layers?

Thanks for the help....

Stacy

Stacy

I just tried to stack layers in the latest update, 12.5.2 and it worked. I have no idea about the error message.

As for layer links: It doesn't work that way. Linking layers gives you an updated view of the model with the selected layers. To make changes you have to go back to the orignal layer, make the change and then return to the linked layer to view the results with the other layers.

It made a lot more sense in the days before viewports. I still use linked layers to look at lights with their "draw beam" option checked to see what the beam is doing in relation to the masking, proscenium, and scenery. But layer link isn't as necessary to build a finished drawing as it used to be.

If you want, you can move things around on linked layer. All linked layer objects are locked by default. Click on an object (an object will be everything in the original layer) and unlock it (Modify menu pulldown). Then you can move the entire layer's worth of objects around as one object.

In the days before viewports, that was cool.

Michael

Stacy,

Did you recently install a second license of VW?

You may have to add it to the workspace using the workspace editor.

Jim is correct -- it is only part of Architect & Landmark.

thanks guys..

I don't understand why stack layers isn't working for me.. it did before the update. I saw that its only available in designer, but I have designer.. so I'm not sure what's been confused (besides me!)

And honestly, once you link layers, is there any way to un-link them? I want to see everything in front view, but want to be able to gray out some layers and edit others... Its a pain to go back and forth unlocking layers.. and I can't turn off other layers anymore. Is there a way to get rid of the link?

Stacy

Katie--

I did try to go back and add stack layers to my workspace again using workspace editor and I can drag the command into my workspace, but as soon as I click OK in the dialog box I get an error message saying "The following items are no longer a part of vectorworks: stack layers"

Is that a license issue?