Keyboard Shortcuts

I'm sorry but VW 8.5.1 on my iMAC does not respond to the keyboard shortcuts SHIFT COMMAND B or SHIFT COMMAND F (from the list mentioned above). I really want to have a quick way to bump parts forward & backward one step at a time like I had in Claris CAD. The menu bar method really is a pain!

And while we're at it, why can't we COMMAND ARROW like Claris CAD to step a part one increment? And why not let us scroll thru five preset grid settings? It's a waste of time to go back into the menu bar to change grid settings!

Now I'm really getting worked up, This is a good software program but why dosen't it include the all basic easy moves of Claris CAD? Is there a patent issue? Am I ignorant of built in commands?

It seems that the list mentioned shows the wrong keys for Macintosh. (I thought this was a Mac program ported to windows but either Deihl is REALLY courting the windows side of the market or its windows ported to Mac. eg most of the screen shots in the manual are windows screens) Replace "Shift Command" with "Option Command" and that works.

Thanks cbrehmer but OPTION COMMAND F (or B) does not work for SEND FORWARD (or SEND BACKWARD). I own VW 8.5.1 running on iMAC here at home.

I will go to the office later and try the new Windows version of VW we own at work. Some people at work are pushing for SolidWorks so I am trying to get some good VW 3D drawings produced soon to get the others on board. I don't want to be stuck with only the PC to use and I don't look forward to another softwear learning curve.

Hey Machine the correct shortcuts are Just Command F and B not option-commmand. also (command-,) will activate the nudge command which will allow you to nudge objects around the screen.

On another note we do and will support Mac version fully it just so happens that Tom took it upon himself to create a list of keyboard shortcuts for a windows user. Once we have the Tech Notes list posted to the web page again you will find a keyboard shortcut list posted there for both versions. grin.gif

------------------

Shawn Waithe

Diehl Graphsoft inc.

Tech Support Manager

Thanks Shawn for the reply. However I find that COMMAND F and B send TO FRONT and TO BACK, not FORWARD and BACKWARD one level at a time on the iMAC. Interestingly, on the PC it works! Of course the key is CONTROL.

Regarding NUDGE, I now understand how to do it with keystrokes. But NUDGE is pixel stepping and I don't draw in pixels. What would be infinitely more useful would be the ability to select an object then use an ARROW KEY to move it one increment of the GRID SNAP setting in operation at the time. For machinery design that would usually be one inch or a fraction of an inch. Can I write a program or macro for that?

It is true that many VW commands are far inferior to the old ClarisCad commands. The nudging and line cutting/joining commands are particularly poor, but Diehlgraftsoft doesn't seem to care.

The shortcut schemes are straight out of the 1980s, and don't allow use of all the modifier keys.

I finally got Quickkeys and made a bunch of macros that really help. For example, to align/center objects I hit two keys - one to activate a menu of UpperRight/UpperLeft/CenterLeft/ etc. and the second to pick the option. The number pad works great for visualization of the alignment options.

I will be glad to share my QuickKey macro files with anyone who is interested. I must have 20-30 shortcuts. Nudge, by the way, is to hit DEL first, then any arrow.

• 1 year later...

I would like to have one your QuickKey macro files, please send to amante.design@excite.com

quote:

Originally posted by cosmiccosmic:

It is true that many VW commands are far inferior to the old ClarisCad commands. The nudging and line cutting/joining commands are particularly poor, but Diehlgraftsoft doesn't seem to care.

The shortcut schemes are straight out of the 1980s, and don't allow use of all the modifier keys.

I finally got Quickkeys and made a bunch of macros that really help. For example, to align/center objects I hit two keys - one to activate a menu of UpperRight/UpperLeft/CenterLeft/ etc. and the second to pick the option. The number pad works great for visualization of the alignment options.

I will be glad to share my QuickKey macro files with anyone who is interested. I must have 20-30 shortcuts. Nudge, by the way, is to hit DEL first, then any arrow.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Machine Designer:

Thanks Shawn for the reply. However I find that COMMAND F and B send TO FRONT and TO BACK, not FORWARD and BACKWARD one level at a time on the iMAC. Interestingly, on the PC it works! Of course the key is CONTROL.

You can use the workspace editor to set command-option-b for move back and command-b for move to back (or whatever you want).

quote:

Regarding NUDGE, I now understand how to do it with keystrokes. But NUDGE is pixel stepping and I don't draw in pixels. What would be infinitely more useful would be the ability to select an object then use an ARROW KEY to move it one increment of the GRID SNAP setting in operation at the time. For machinery design that would usually be one inch or a fraction of an inch. Can I write a program or macro for that?

VW9 uses shift-arrow for pixel nudge, and

command-shift-arrow (or control-shift on windows) to do nudge by snap grid spacing.